To travel into Canada, I need...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coastiejoe,

I got my passport about this time last year and they stated that if you crossed the border into Canada or Mexico on foot or by auto you only needed the Passport Card and not the Passport Book. However, if you travel on a commercial airline, boat, train, etc then you can only use the Passport Book. Has that changed in the past year?

...Rich

Thanks everyone for all the information. I think I'm just going to enjoy the American side. My girlfriend will probably never know the difference, at least I hope not. I've already been and would prefer to see it from the Canadian side again, but I won't be upset just staying stateside.

Thanks for the waterfall information, also. We're taking our time getting there, driving Monday through Wednesday and camping each night after hiking and visiting a waterfall or two each day, Niagara on Thursday and Sherwood Inn in Skaneateles Thursday night through Sunday.

I haven't decided on an exact route, but it looks like I'll be going either I-81 to stay along the Appalachian or through Roanoke-area, Virginia up through Linesville, PA. The second route would be to spend a night with family on Lake Pymatuning in Linesville. Visiting family is not a priority, just thought if the costs of camping were getting too high, we would stop by family for a free night. Any cheap or free camping spots near waterfalls would be awesome. Thanks again.

STanner, thanks. I love the Cougar, but its a money pit I can't afford to keep feeding right now. My dad has a '69 convertible, but its a long way away from finished. I actually stole a lot of his parts while I was in high school. Mine is so close to completely finished (if there is such a thing) I can't stand it, but I have other priorities to put my money into right now. Someday...

Rich, I beleive you are still correct according to teh state department..

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative Passport Requirements

Returning to the U.S. From .......................................Type of travel .................................................................... Document Required

Any International Location........................................ Air, Commercial airplane, private airplane, etc. U.S.......Passport Book

Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean Region.... Land, Car, bus, train, by foot, etc........................ U.S. Passport Book or Card

Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean Region............ Sea, Commercial cruise line, private boat, etc ....U.S Passport Book or Card

A U.S. Territory................................................... Air, Land or Sea.................................................. Valid Photo ID.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you get to new york, there are awesome falls and gorges at the sothern end of the finger lakes, namely Watkins Glen, Treman State park, Toughannock Falls, Montour Falls, and Fillmore Glen...

Toughannock falls it the highest single waterfall east of the rockies, 215 ft...

I think these are picture of Toughannock and Treman glens.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I will definitely see if I can get that on the itinerary.

Oh I had forgotten about Toughannock that was a great one too and very easy access, we visited so many I forget half of them. The I-81 corridor is a great drive, oftentimes we would actually use the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive to travel instead of the interstates, it takes a lot longer but it is a beautiful drive. There are plenty of websites that talk about waterfalls in specific areas, as well as a lot of waterfall guide books that offer a lot of information about some of the lesser known (but often more impressive) waterfalls in a certain area. I was amazed that for every tourist attractions waterfall we visited there were normally several others in the area that were not as well known. Of course summer isn't exactly the best time for waterfalls as many of the ones on smaller streams will be a trickle.

I have been holding out on getting a Nexus card to cross into Canada hoping Maine will issue enhanced drivers licenses sometime in the near future. I know for sure that I do not need a passport to go to Canada just the Nexus card, and you do not have to already have a passport to get the card.

Don't forget, Canada is very strict on letting people in with previous convictions on their records. There was a recent case of a professional baseball player being held at the Canadian border over an alleged criminal record.

Latest posts