To fix or not to fix? (May be selling soon)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo Loo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm considering selling the ST...

One of the issues with my truck is that the clear coat is badly damaged on the hood and some of the front fenders:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/g9jnz0w2pysarws/hood.JPG

Would it be worth the cost to fix this prior to selling or should I sell as is?

Obviously it will increase the price if its fixed, is there a "cheep" place that can do and if that cost is under what the value changes, I would repair and then sell..

Todd Z

I had a black Chev Celebrity Eurosport where the clear coat cooked on the upper surfaces. I wet sanded the top of the car, masked it off to the body lines on the top of the fenders down both side of the car and sprayed it with a urethane black(no clear coat). After that I applied a red double pinstripe down the body line(where I had masked) and it looked pretty good. Looked good even when I sold it off as a "beater" after it had 140,000 plus miles on it. It was a cheap cure that looked pretty darn good.

A lot depends on how bad the damage is to the clear coat and the cost to either repaint or just re-clear coat the damaged areas.

In the end the decision is: Yes, Restoring the damaged paint will increase the value, but will it offset the cost to repair the clear-coat issues. Keep in mind that often they cannot just clear-coat over the old weathered paint...so you might be looking at repainting and then clear-coating the damaged areas. Also, often times they cannot just stop at the end of the body panel, but it will often be necessary to blend the new paint and clear-coat into the a joining panel....that can increase the cost dramatically!

...Rich