Tivo

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We used to TiVo but now have DVR,, same thing....... Once you have it, you will hate being away from it. LOVE IT!!!!!!! I have no cons...... LOVE IT! did I say I love it?

we set it to record stuff all the time. we are nuts for tvland, hallmark, amc and diy ntetwork.... very seldom watch real tv that much anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently I have Cox cable with all the dvr stuff to go along with it. i switched from DirectTv about 8 months ago becasue the picture quality was poor compared to Cox. I loved the DirectTv interface and dvr capabiliteis which is based on the Tivo platform. When I got the Cox installed I was disappointed to see that nothing had changed since I had it 2 years beforehand but Cox swore up and down that they were planning an update. Well last week that update happened and they took the things that worked very well and got rid of them and implemented a new guide and search format but it is still mediocre at best hence my reason for looking into the Tivo

We have directv for 10+ years now. I thought I'd be smart and swith to dish to save money, their dvr and guides and software sucked. 4 days later I swithced back to direct. They are more expensive in some ways, but their software and dvr setups are so much easier and nicer. Directv has now come up with a internet downloading feature where you can download movies, tv show and more to your dvr when hooked up to the net. Tried it,,, it's cool.

My family has had Tivo for about four years now, and absolutely love it. Enough that we've had a second unit for about the last year, on a second TV. With us needing all hands on deck each night around 7pm-9pm getting kids put to bed, it's great to be able to watch the shows we want when we want, rather than being tied to the networks' schedules.

We also really like some of the added features which are proprietary to Tivo only, and not to other DVRs. (Or at least that's my understanding.) Things like being able to view digital photos from our hard drive on the TV, access to Pandora (including use of our Pandora stations which were created elsewhere), Netflix access, Rhapsody access, Amazon movie/TV rental access, etc.

It's especially been useful for the past two months, as it allows us to skip all those @#$%ing political ads.

Note that we've never had any other DVR, so I really can't answer any questions comparing Tivo to anyone else. Also, we don't have cable, so any questions in that regard will need to go elsewhere too. But otherwise, if you have any questions about them, let me know, I'd be glad to take an attempt at answering...

I have a couple of TV tuners in my computer. Windows Media Center for Vista and Win7 uses it as a DVR. It will also give you several internet tv channels and access to Netflix. It will also play most of my media on the computer. Every once in a while, the HD recordings will mess up the audio, so I usually save using that when I can sit down and watch it live. It could just be a glitch in the tuners, though, so I'm not too concerned about that.

1tech,

If planning to use a tivo box with your Cox cable subscription you will need to get the tivo model that supports cablecards and get a cablecard from Cox and work with the to configure the card once in your tivo.

That is the only way you will get premium channels, VOD, etc through that tivo box.

Also, check with Cox to make sure they have the cablecards available. Some regions don't have them or don't yet support them.

There is an FCC regulation that requires that cable companies allow their customers the option of purchasing their set-top equipment elsewhere, and as long as compliant with the cable company standards, the cable company has to provision the box. The cablecard standard allows this. However, you will likely have to pay a monthly rental fee to Cox for the cablecard if you go that route.

See Tivo's link below for good info about using their box with cable service via cableCard.

TJR

Had tivo for quite some time. I like my tivo/sat receiver better than the dvr from directv. It's easier to use. You will love it!

We just hooked up a Tivo box with a built in cable box with a card for a customer, it worked great.