Tires

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Wyman

Reaction score
My specs for my Sport Trac say 255 /70 R16. My mechanic put on new tires for me and put on 225 / 70 R 16

I told him about it and he insisted my specs said 255. I checked three times and it is 255. Will this be a problem?

WARNING!

When changing tire sizes, we recommend staying within 3% of the diameter of the original tire. Any more than this and you face the risk of brake failure.

5.5% diameter difference. Did HE check your door sticker? :banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:
Stay on top of it. He is trying not to eat the cost of his mistake.

Also time for a new mechanic..........

I believe the 255 is only for the Adren 20" rim and the 225 is for the Smaller sizes.

Not 100%..... what motor and year is your sport trac.

Click vehicle, enter complete VIN, select minor features.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ambulance chaser BS. I've had 265 series BFG's on my '07, which came from the factory with 235's, since the day I bought it new. As a matter of fact I had the selling Ford dealer install a set of 265/65/18's on the factory Limited wheels before I took delivery of the truck. I have only changed brake pads at all four corners one time in over 131k miles and I have been known to tow some pretty heavy stuff. The only reason I did that was because they were starting to rattle, the rears because of a lack of anti-rattle clips on the original pads. Not sure why the fronts rattled but all four sets of pads still had more than half of the pad remaining when I replaced them with new Motorcraft pads. They just got noisy. I swapped the front rotors for slotted EBC's about 20k ago only because the originals were starting to warp and cause a pedal pulsation. Still running the original rear rotors and they have never been touched.

Look at the tire placard on the door frame of the driver's door. It will tell you what size tires your truck is supposed to have and the inflation pressure.

Undersized tires are very dangerous because they do not have the required load capacity as the stock tires.

I would make the mechanic change these out.

I have a 07 ST Limited, and converted it to an adrenalin series. I now have 20" adrenalin wheels and they look and ride great. 255/50/20. wheel.Changed all exterior, now it looks like a complete adrenalin series. White in color with tan interior. Have owned this ST since 07. One of One.

Latest posts