Tires Cupping - Solutions???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather inOC

Reaction score
I've got 32" Pro Comp All Terrain Tires all around, but the front 2 are cupping badly. The tires have about 10,000 miles on them along with the Rancho shocks. My Ford guy says that the front shocks must be bad and that I need to replace them with a stiffer shock in order to stop the cupping from getting worse. So then, what shocks do I get? And is that even the right solution?

Shocks will help. My front tires were cupping badly I put them on the rear and added Monroe Reflex shocks all around and the front tires are no longer cupping.

Which rancho do you have? Rancho rsx and monroe reflex are the same shock. You might want to consider the rancho 9000. You can dial them in to what you need in stiffness.

Heather, From what I've read here in the past the Edelbrocks are pretty much an on road shock. You might consider the KYB Monomax shocks on the rear and the Rancho RSX on the front. If it were me, I'd also look at the front upper and lower ball joints as well as the crappy OEM front end links which might be bent. I don't do any off roading w/ our 4x2, but I do have the 4x4 front sway bar on and when I replaced the OEM front end link with the MOOG Problem Solver front end links, the OEM front end links were bent. Hope that helps.

how often do you rotate the tires?

i used to have a 92 Ranger on 33"s and the tires would cup bad if they weren't rotated about every 3k miles.

Heather,,the edelbrocks are the same technology as the rsx. IMO not as good of quality as rsx. Some here have worn the edels out in a year. I still think for your service the rancho 9000 is a good choice.

As rodger said take a look at ball joints and such. When you run large tires, expect your suspension parts to last much less than normal. Also wheel bearings.

Remember, Bigger larger tires then stock will tend to cup more and the alignment angles need to be adjusted as well..

Todd Z

Latest posts