Tire tread pattern

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAUL AGUILAR

Reaction score
What happens if you run a directional tire in the wrong rotation. In order to correct a bad wear issue.

I have searched every where and i can't find an answer.

In the Dunlop website they say to treat a wrongly mounted tire like a spare tire, use it only for short distances and at slow speeds and fix it as soon as possible.

my guess would be that it would destroy the tire (belts, etc.) as the tire was made to roll in one direction, and would not be stable in the wrong direction

It will not distroy the tire, BUT in the rain and bad weather it can cause you to have an accident,.....

The tred is designed to PUSH water OUT of the tire.....

IF run backwards, it will push stuff INTO the tire....

I would not do it..

Todd Z

The plies should be wound the same as a bidirectional tire. Running it backwards will not, in my opinion, harm the tire in the least. The trread pattern, however, was designed to roll in a particular direction. Handling characteristics will be reasonable compromised, i.e. hydroplaning, traction, etc. You can remount the tires for the other side to irregular accomodate edge wear.

I don't know about your tire, but I do know what happens when you play a country record backwards: You get your house back, you get your wife back, your momma gets out of prison and you get sober.

You are not going to correct a bad wear issue no matter what you do. Fix the problem and cough up the cash for a new tire...don't be a statistic

A tire shop once rotated my directional tires incorrectly. I didn't know they had mounted them backwards until the day one of the tires lost its tread on the highway.

As others mentioned, it will be a traction issue.

Much like a tractor tire. It fits either way, but put it on back-words and you will be stuck in 1 inch of much. Why,,, because it tries to pull in the mud and muck as opposed to push it out of the way, thus creating traction by moving the mud and muck...

Latest posts