Tire Sensors

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Stamps

Reaction score
Those of you who have the later model ST's with the tire sensors, when you went with the 20" wheels, if they did not come with the tire sensors, did you add them or not? If you don't add them does it affect the computer? Are they absolutely necessary? If you had to buy them is there a place with reasonable prices? I would really appreciate an answer to this because I plan to start looking for a set of used or refurbished Adrenalin wheels for my 09 and they might not have the sensors. Thanks, Bob

You do not have to have them, but if you don't, the orange tpms light will come on on your dash. If you can live with that, you will be ok, if not you will have to get them. I got my extra set on e-bay along with a training tool to reset the sensors. Yes everytime you change wheels with different sensors, they will have to be retrained. On e-bay you can get the sensors, bands and everything you need. But if you are going to use the new wheels all the time, just take the sensors out of you old wheels, you will just have to get a set of bands, plus you will not have to train a new set of sensors.

The tire sensors are necessary if you don't want to be reminded everytime you start the truck, and approximately 20 minutes later, of low tire pressure. There is no way to turn off the alert. You can find them easily on E-bay or other sites.

I was wondering, if you were using two sets of wheels (those with snow tires), could you place all 4 sensors inside the spare so you wouldn't have to purchase another set.

Yes, I will be using two sets of tires. Am I right about the Adrenalin tires fitting my 09 without any problems? I really appreciate you guys answering back!

I have two sets of wheels (winter/summer) with TPMS sensors and at the change of the season, my tire guy has to take the first set of wheels out in the parking lot. Reset the TPMS sensors and then put that set in the bed of the truck. If not done like this, when I put the set of wheels in my workshop and go out in the truck, the alarm goes off. Then its back down to the tire store to do it all over again. Minor inconvenience. Bob

Bob - I have a set of Adrenalin wheels on my '08 XLT. No problems and I would expect you would also be fine with fitment on an '09. I went with a 275/45/20 tire size, at Bob C's suggestion way back when. I have TPMS sensors in the Adrenalin wheels and when I do the seasonal changeover (to stock wheels with 17's) I have to retrain the sensors, though I picked up an inexpensive tpms calibration tool that takes care of the dash light and retraining each changeover time. Good luck.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
what is the name of the tool to reprogram the sensors, im going to have to do that in the spring. What tool am i looking for. Jim

great thank you, i will check out ebay for it and see what the cost is, it has to be cheaper than seeing the dealer every spring!

Jim there is a procedure you have to go through, it is more than just point and shoot. It only takes about 5 minutes, but it has to be done. Some of the devices come with the directions, otherwise I found the directions on a Mustang site. If I had time this morning I would put them up, but it will be this evening before I can. Anyone else with them may be able to.

to supplement the info from ReblFord...

The procedure below works on my ST, though you should be able to verify online the correct procedure for your application. The position you place and press the calibration tool depends on the location of the tire sensor. The process should only take a couple of minutes if all goes well.

If you have band sensors (like I do), the tire sensor should be 180 degrees to the opposite side of the valve stem and so depressing the button on the calibration tool is done at the outside edge of the rim at that sensor location.

Note: They recommend that the tire pressure sensor training procedure be done in an area without radio frequency (RF) noise, typically generated by electrical motor and appliance operation, cellular telephones and remote transmitters, power inverters and portable entertainment equipment.

Sensor Training (Reset Procedure)

1.Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

2.Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position three times, ending in the RUN position. Do not wait more than one minute between each key cycle.

3.Press and release the brake pedal.

4.Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

5.Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position three times, ending in the RUN position. Do not wait more than one minute between each key cycle.

6.The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if train mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center displays "TRAIN LF TIRE", place the calibration tool on the outside of the rim opposite the LF tire valve stem and press and hold the button. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the TPMS module.

7.Within two minutes after the horn sounds, place the calibration tool on the outside of the rim on the opposite side of the RF valve stem and press the calibration tool button. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the TPMS module.

NOTE: If the VSM (TPMS module integral to VSM) does not recognize any one of the four tire pressure sensors during the tire training procedure, the horn will sound twice and the message center (if equipped) will display "TIRE NOT TRAINED REPEAT" and the procedure must be repeated.

8.Repeat Step 7 for the RR and LR tires.

When the tire training procedure is complete, the horn will sound once and the message center (if equipped) will display "TIRE TRAINING MODE COMPLETE".

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Chargedtrac, kept me from entering all those items. But, yes, these instructions worked on my '07 and work now on my '10. So they work for all gen2 Tracs.

very cool, will be keeping this post for reference in the future. as always thanks for sharing your knowledge! Rebl the tpms tool above in picture, is that the same one you have?

Latest posts