Tire Pressure Monitors (POS)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Lavoie

Reaction score
Can I disable the TPM System?

Since day one, every month, I get some Low Pressure error with these things... "Tire Pressure Low" message is constantly showing. I have no low pressure. I've had them replaced and it still happens.

I had a flat last month. They fixed it, didn't re-set the unit and got the warning. Went back to be told it "fell off" (the band came loose). They put it back on but it was broken. They had to replace it but they didn't have the equipment to do it. I took it to the dealer and they replaced it and charged me (of course). Went BACK to the tire place and got reimbursed.

The point is - I spend way too much time with these damn things.

I have my own TPM method - I LOOK AT THEM, if they look low, I fill them up!!!! Jeesh!

I really HATE these things! :angry:

I guess I just have to get used the the Tire symbol on my dash.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought four new tires for my 07 ST from my Ford dealer. Because the mechanic apparently did not know how to handle the TPMS, the installation took two days! Keep in mind this was at a FORD dealership!

TPMS issues also "persuaded" me to stick with OEM size tires instead of going to a larger size which is what I really wanted to do.

I have had nothing but hassles with the dealer, tire dealers, mechanics etc. ever since I bought my 07 new in June of 06.

All because of the TPMS.

I agree. There should be some type of way to disable this POS. If someone comes up with an easy way, please share it with us.

You can thank the myrids of people in our society that never check the air in their tires.

Anyways, FWIW, just because a tire doesn't look low doesn't mean it isn't low. The only true measurment is using an actual pressure gage.

Tom

I agree. There should be some type of way to disable this POS. If someone comes up with an easy way, please share it with us.

Pull the dash apart and pull the bulb? Piece of black tape over the light? Pull the fuse? Remove the wiring harness from TPMS module?

Tom

Anyways, FWIW, just because a tire doesn't look low doesn't mean it isn't low. The only true measurement is using an actual pressure gage.

I agree - I was frustrated in my message, I actually check them on a regular basis (not just by looking)

Remove the wiring harness from TPMS module?

Do you know where that is? - if not, I like the "Black Tape" idea.

Dingo or Todd - what do you guys think?

BTW, I thought I was the only one having this issue.

Honestly I never played with them...

Since it is now fixed, i would set the tires slightly higher then norm.... around 36 each or something like that and let the system work the way it should...

The only way to disable I can think of has been posted already...

Todd Z

The sensors don't care what the pressure is. They care what the pressure is relative to each other. If all 4 are at 12 psi, no light.

It also can't be disabled, and you can't just put tape over the light, as it comes up on the text display.

The sensors don't care what the pressure is. They care what the pressure is relative to each other. If all 4 are at 12 psi, no light.

WRONG! If pressure falls below 30PSi in any or all tires, the light will come on.

I had a real time with mine when I bought the ST new. I hated the Tire Pressue monitoring System in a bad way. I checked the tires every day and tried to make it work and even asked on here how to turn it off since I kept getting the text about it in the message center and it was irritating the heck out of me. It did till I realized the dial type tire gauge I had been using since the late 70's was going wacko and every time I was checking them I was getting different readings and wasn't filling them accurately. Now....no problems at all. Might be an idea to check your gauge.......

'07 ST:D

I have to agree with Caymen, If you are the kind of guy who thinks just by looking at his tires he can determine if they are low or not....You are the guy who NEEDs TP monitors. You cannot tell just by looking at the tire until it's so low it's obvious.

I never had TP monitors until I purchased my 2008 Mercedes. The car is equiped with extremely wide, low profile tires which make it very difficult to tell if the tire is low even if it's nearly flat ! My TP monitor will detect a pressure drop as little as 2-3 psi. I can look at the tires and never see which tire is actually low. The only way I know is to use a tire pressure gauge, and since I typically find other tires that are only about one PSI low and not enought to trigger the TP monitor, I just check and inflate them all

I can also change the air pressure in my tires to any reading I want and then reset the system to use these new pressures as the baseline pressure.

...Rich

Latest posts