Tire Pressure Monitoring System and After Market Rims

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven D

Reaction score
I am considering puttings some aftermarket wheels on, same size as factory, just different style and chrome. If I do this, will the installer be able to put the TPMS on the new wheels? If so, will it work? Thanks.

Yes they can, But I have heard on here that you have to get the sensors from ford and I think the price was around $400.00 for the parts...

Todd Z

Yeah you have to get the sensors from Ford and they are quite pricey. I just push the reset button when I get in. At first it was annoying, but I got used to it real quick.

I swapped my sensors onto my aftermarket rims and it worked just fine. I was pushing the reset and it was okay most of the time, but I found occasionally it didn't detect it at startup and then a ways down the road it would kick in and then I'd have to push the reset.

In Canada you it costs about $600 to buy a set of 4. :(

I don't know what the sensors look like, but I got aftermarket wheels for my Infiniti G35 and the specs for the wheels indicated whether they would work with sensors or not. They simply swapped them to the new wheels.

Thanks for the replies. I have a 2007 ST, so I already have the sensors and the computer that tells me my pressure on tires is low, I guess I forgot to mention that. So, if I am reading correctly they should be able to swap from the stock rims to the aftermarket rims and it should still work.

Thanks again everyone.

Be sure the shop doing the swap for you will remove the sensors from the old wheels. I put new wheels on my 2007 Ranger and had to remove the sensors myself because the shops would not cut the bands. I had to buy 4 new bands from Ford, but reused the same sensors.

I am getting ready to buy a set of wheels for my 07 ST, but I'll be buying all new bands and sensors as I will be keeping the stocks for winter wheels and tires.

Yeah the shops where I am at will not remove the stock sensors for me, so I just go without them for the summer. I check my tire pressure at every fill up anyways.

well since we don't have winter here in the sunny/rainy/hurricaning state of FL, once these aftermarkets go on they will be on until they are replaced, so I would like to have the sensors on them, if the shop will put them on.

If the shop won't put them on, is there a certain wire I can unplug or cut somewhere to just turn off the TPMS all together or will I just have to punch the button on the guages everytime I start her up?

400-600.00 for parts to make it work? Plain stupid! Even BMWs let you run after market wheels without adding parts. And, some of these Ford's are getting more expensive than the lower end 3 Series.

Another Bold Move from Ford!

Unholy wrote:
I swapped my sensors onto my aftermarket rims and it worked just fine.

The sensors can be swapped. I don't know if certain rims won't accept them like on my G35 Coupe.

P.S. Bootsy, I like the G35 Coupe; LOTS of power. My wife drives it most of the time. At 6'1", I have to scootch down in the seat because of the sunroof lowering the headliner down (to get certain options we wanted, we had to get the sunroof; darn packages!).

Mookie...a few of my friends run 350Zs and G35s. One is having Cosworth build a 4.6 L for the Z. 550 HP to the wheels.

And, before I forget, the same guy is running a Grand Am 350Z in Bonneville salt flats next month. 197 MPH is the world record in street modified. Should be fun.