Tire Cupping

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gene Marshall

Reaction score
I have noticed several post about this problem. I read some say that Ford blames it on Goodyear and Goodyear says it is a Ford issue. Has anyone had their tires replaced because of the cupping, by Ford or Goodyear?

I believe Ford should be responsible because they were part of the new vehicle when purchased for example, if you had a problem with your Pioneer Radio would Ford repair or replace or would Pioneer?

Is there anything in writing stating that Ford will not address the tire issue?

Thanks Ole great and knowledgeable Trac owners.

Gene,

Most new car tires are covered by the tire manufactures warranties. If your ST is over one year old it shoul be Goodyear's responsibility. If less than a year, Ford should take care of the problem.

The problem is it's difficult to tell what is causing your cupping problem. Bad shocks or worn, bent or damage suspension/steering parts can cause tire cupping.

Another problem that most people fail to look at, and I think this is the major cause, is damage to the tire from hitting pot holes, curbs, debris in the road, etc. I believe the impact can damage the cords and belts under the tread. This weakens the tire and causes it to wear unevenly and start to cup.

It does not have to be a bone jarring pot hole, it just needs to have a sharp edge and you hit it at the right speed and the damage is done. You may have hit that same pot hole a dozen times a week without any problems, but a few thousand miles later your tire starts to cup.

I do believe that the Goodyear Wranglers on out Sport Trac's are prone to damage easier than say some other brands but once the tire starts to cup it's hard to prove.

I always go to my local Goodyear store and purchase their rad hazard insurance on all my tires (They will even insure non-Goodyear tires). I also get their life-time balancing, tire rotation and free flat repairs. I go in about every 6K miles have the tires checked, balanced, rotated, and even have them check the brake pad thickness, all for free. Cost is about $35 per tire, but I think it's well worth it and I get great mileage out or my tires.

...Rich

I have less than 9000 miles on these tires and have owned it less than 7 months. It is an 05 that was never sold. I bought it with 50 miles on the odometer. I complained about the noise they made from the get go. My dealer said it was out of alignment and re-aligned at 4000 mile. I hate these tires. they make a great vehicle mediocre.

Looks like I may have to pitch a hillbilly redneck fit on them if they give me a hard time over this.

Just picked up tires for a coworker's BMW. Seems 335s are having a bad cupping problem. BMW says its the tires, tire manufacturer says its the BMW.

Put them on the back and do a nice burnout, Flattens the cups down 1-2-3.. !!!!!

Todd Z

Gavin, I say the shocks, I have a New set of factory good year tires on the st and they are doing great for now... I am sure as the wear down they will start to stink as bad as my old ones did but the shocks are much more fubar than the tires...

Todd Z

My 04 had cupping at 12000 mi. The dealer told me to come in and they would check the alignment. the day of the appointment I went to my favorite tire dealer where I have purchased tires for my previous vehicle, for my wife Suv. and for my motorhome. He looked at them and said he would check the alignment. He found the align was perfect. his alignment equipment is the same as the dealers. He did this for no charge, and gave me the print out and told me not to show the dealer until they did the alignment. This I did, and after a long wait while they did the alignment, the service mgr told me that the tires were out of alignment. I presented the print out from the tire dealer and said this was done just hours ago. He did not show me his print out ....He turned and went to his manager and came back and told me they were going to give me 4 new tires and they did.

Summary: you need to do what you have to do.... they are responsible. and you know and I know that they rebilled Goodyear and didn't lose any money. My wife has a 96 Yukon and I put Michilen tires on that and they actually looked good after 77 000 on them and I changed them because were old. Its interesting that I now see the new ST's equipped with Michilen.

Latest posts