timing chain failure

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Fenwick

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Well now, my 2002 4.0 had a bit of a timing chain rattle on start up after a short trip the day before. 109K miles when I bought it. The noise lasted maybe 1 second. Now at 141K miles the time is just a bit longer but not close to two seconds. It is however, sometimes louder.

My question is, those of you who have had failure or known of failure, how bad was the rattle before it failed? It will be tough foe me to find $1500. for a fix.

If the truck has lasted 9 years so far, shall I take the chance it will last 'till the Lord comes back?

Try this oil on your next change, Castrol EDGE 0W-30, you can buy it at autozone. Read the label, its the only castrol made in germany, and is a true synthetic. I have a 2001 with 108k and I've tried alot of other synthetics, royal purple, mobil one etc. and this is the only one which helps with the noise.

I believe this oil will help the lubrication and make the rattle go away mostly as it does on mine. On certain months the 0w-30 is on sale at autozone, but I checked its not on sale now. I bet you if you try it you will get the same result.I use this oil on all my vehicles, including my tractors and lawn mowers with great results. By the way, on the website " Bob is the oil guy " they call this oil german castrol or GC and its highly raved about.

Aloha Ron thanks, I have found several Castrol EDGE oils, ranging from $22.0/5 quarts to $40./ 5 quarts.

Are you saying that it needs to be 0-30 weight? It never gets cold enough for 0 weight over here. Is there any other specification I can search for?

TKS for your help Ed

Thanks guys I will look into both. Oil change is the easiest. Walmart and then parts houses for Castrol EDGE, I'll look for 10-30. To change the adjusters, don't I have to pull the cam and valve springs and such.

Does anybody know how loud these things get before letting go?

If rattle is only happening at start up, you may want to give this a try.

You can also try putting your foot to the floor on the gas pedal and holding it there while you crank the engine (this turns off the fuel injectors). It may take up to about 7-10 seconds of cranking to see oil pressure, depending on engine and/or oil temp. Releasing the gas pedal will now allow the engine to start. If the noise is gone it's being caused by loose hydraulic chain tensioners, which tighten once you have oil pressure. Not a lot you can do about this issue, other than adding a pre-oiler, or always cranking your engine before allowing it to start. It's just that hydraulic tensioners (which rely on the oil pressure to apply full tension) are a poor design.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/sohc-knock-or-chain-slap.438869/#post-3494736

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe this:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4N5E_RfYpE" target="_blank">Ford Explorer Timing Chain Rattle Fix (Part 1)</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LUdwhq-M3M" target="_blank">Ford Explorer Timing Chain Rattle Fix (Part 2)</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5mI-ah4qRQ" target="_blank">REPLACING TIMING CHAIN TENSIONERS 4.0 SOHC</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLQKiuwuiEw" target="_blank">Priming A Timing Chain Tensioner</a>

Timing chain tensioner, right, spring-hydraulic - 7U3Z6K254A, $49.10

Timing chain tensioner, left, spring-hydraulic - 7U3Z6K254B, $62.21

Metal washer, Timing chain tensioner, left - XU2Z6M252AA, $7.20

Castrol edge 0w-30 is a true synthetic made in germany, its not found in Walmart, only at Autozone as far as I know. What I'm saying this one weight is the one you want, it can be used for 5w-30 and 10w-30 weights. It only comes in single quarts, no 5 gal containers, hope this helps, as i swear by it!!!!!!

I put a picture of the exact quart in my member library.

That description helps a lot Ron. There is no Autozone here. I'll search Oahu. Also make a copy of the pix. TKS God bless

Not sure, but extended performance oils are usually pretty good. The question is it a true synthetic, and not an standard oil base with added synthetic additives which is being called a synthetic. The 0w-30 made in germany is a European formula, read this site (Bob is the Oil Guy) for oil discussions and maybe find the truth about the castrol edge 5w-30 extended.

AllI know is the 0w30 works for me and the results are undeniable for me, no exaggeration involved .

Excerpt from Bob is the oil guy site:

"Given it was Castrol who was the company to first market Group III oil as "Synthetic" in the US and the fact that there is no set definition by law of what "Synthetic" oil must be in the US, there is no reason to believe that a US produced Castrol Edge product is anything but Group III. I'm sure Castrol Edge EP is their "best" oil produced in the US...since the word "best" is a marketing term and has no legal definition, it's a word you can use for any product.

The Belgian and German Castrol (which is not rated as a EP) is different because in Europe the word "synthetic" actually means a group IV or V base stock by law. "

swshawai'i, that worked well. today I cranked for 5 seconds. That was not very long. Thanks

About a month ago me and my wife were on a trip (about 50 miles from home, when my st stop in the middle of the interstate dead. Had it towed back to my city for repairs. problem was the timing change broke. Have 105,000 miles. Cost was $2,700, but glad to spend the $ for my sportrac is an old 07 limited Adrenalin. One of One Owned since 09. Hopefully when I'm gone, they can put me and the st 6 ft under,together.

Latest posts