Timing Chain/Belt

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Chase

Reaction score
My dad has a 1999 or 2000 Ford Explorer with the 3.0 engine in it. The engine died on him over the weekend. He said it made a large baning noise and died. When he turns the key the engine starts to turn over but won't actuall start. he thinks it might be the Timing Belt/Chain. I've seen a few people on here recently say they've had that problem in there ST's. My question is how expensive of a fix is it generally. He's debating on fixing it or donating because he wants a new vehicle anyhow.

Luckily we were able to start my 93 F-150 that's been sitting for over a year. under $100 to get it running (tabs, oil change, radiator fluid and one transmission leak fixed. Not too bad, and even with 1-2 gallons of old gas mixed with 2 gallons of new gas, it started on the first turn!:banana: Only problem is the power steering is out (leaking hose somewhere) so he'll get his workout.

the 3.0 is the Vulcan V6, and has a timing chain... pop the cap off of it and see if the rotor moves, and then bring the balacer to TDC, and see if the roto is pointing to just before the #1 cylinder terminal under the cap... you may have jumped a tooth, also.. Timing chains are not expensive, but are a PITA to R&R.... i don't belive the motor is an interferance type, meaning the valves hit the pistons when the chain breaks... I'd do a compression check, too.

The Explorer never had a 3.0 in it to the best of my knowledge. It should be the 4.0 if it is the V6 and they do have a timing chain. Here is some info.

2000 Ford Explorer Reliability Rating

Category Rating Comments

Engine Occasional problems on this vehicle are failures of the Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor, the Differential Pressure Feedback EGR (DPFE) Sensor, the Idle Air Control Valve, and the Intake Manifold Gaskets and front Timing Chain Tensioner (4.0L VIN E engine only). The cost to repair the MAF Sensor is estimated at $200.00 for parts and $26.00 for labor. The cost to repair the DPFE Sensor is estimated at $52.00 for parts and $32.50 for labor. The cost to repair the Idle Air Control Valve is estimated at $68 .00for parts and $32.50 for labor. The Intake Manifold Gaskets and front Timing Chain Tensioner are covered under a recall up to 72,000 miles. If the vehicle is past the allowable mileage for the recall, the cost to repair the Intake Manifold Gaskets and front Timing Chain Tensioner is estimated at $45.00 for parts and $130.00 for labor. All prices are estimates based on $65.00 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.

The 4.0 sohc is an interference design. If valves from the chains are out of sync. They will hit the pistons and lock the motor.

I just rebuilt a 4.0 V-6 sohc engine for myself for about $800 in parts and machine shop service. Normally if a shop does it for someone it will run around $2600.

Latest posts