Timing Chain Advice

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found parts from my 03 in the pan at about 90K.......have 137K on it now, Did nothing..... I figure when it lets go I will make the decision then.

Todd Z

Please keep us posted on your Trac! Good luck!!!

Just thought of something that someone else a whole lot smarter than me can answer: You said your mechanic felt some slack in the chain? Don't these motors have hydraulic tensioners that take the slack out using oil pressure? If so, it would likely be normal to feel some slack when the engine is not running.

I did a remanufactured Ford long block (it's really new in a way, but Ford can't call it that) at 150,000 miles and don't regret it because I take care of my vehicles and know that I'm in this truck for a much longer haul. I also did the tranny as I had been driving it with the Overdrive light flashing for a while and it had a little slip to it. I basically had a new truck that I knew from front to rear vs getting something used which I would have been unsure of. The Ford motor came with 3 yr or unlimited mileage on both with their standard warranty so you couldn't beat that deal. This wasn't some sketchy 'extended warranty' that you would have to hope would be honored down the road.

I now have 312,000 miles and going strong. Everything is in pretty damn good shape so I think I'll go for another motor if this one goes because you can't get a used car that you could honestly trust for that kind of money.

@nobleman This is the decision you need to make. If yours is in pristine condition and you really like it then drive it until the engine quits. Throw a new motor in it and enjoy your Trac and presence on this forum for many more miles down the road.

Don't these motors have hydraulic tensioners that take the slack out using oil pressure?

They have combination spring-hydraulic tensioners (one front and one rear; far left in the pic). The spring applies tension until oil pressure builds. The typical failure for these is the spring weakens and the affected chain develops a rattle for a few seconds at start-up and then some time after, the plastic cassette grenades.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
That photo ;looks like a Job 1 kit?..... My Job 2 was different.....

I replaced them But mine sounds like marbles rattling around in there at idle in gear, I raised the idle slightly to help keep the slack tight....

Its only time before BOOM !!! LOL

Todd Z

Obviously this has been a pain in my ass for the past few weeks so sorry for not updating diligently.

I never had to call around to so many shops until I found a mechanic that actually had a pair, was willing to do the work, has done it a few times before, has been successful with it, and has good reviews. You know, that moment when you realize you're talking to the right person, and are now hoping your gut is right.

So he tore it down and we agreed on hitting some of the replaceable stuff on the way back out to save on near future labor costs. Got the analysis today, and OMFG I knew it would cost, but it still made me a little weak in the knees. I barely eeked out "so in your opinion, is it worth fixing, or dropping in another engine?"

Now I don't think he actually cursed, but I swear I heard him say "Fu** no, that engine is in great shape, fix it." In that moment I got my nuts back and the voices in my head sounded like Wilma and Betty screaming "CHAAAAAARGE IT".

So now we wait...

If it says anything about the design of this engine, the first mech and all his guys said "we're not sure how you're NOT having problems, but we're not touching this repair". They handed me a baggie with the parts they found in the oil pan shown in the pic. I almost died on the spot.

Yes, I played jigsaw and debated some JB Weld, but opted against it. I said if this is what they found, where are the rest of the parts.

Sure enough, my new best mechanic friend found the rest of the parts wedged in, around, and all over the chain. Again, this damn thing refused to let go, skip, hop, jump, whatever, but I'm glad it didn't. He said it caused some damage, I can't imagine it not having caused some damage. He said it looked like it was going to fall apart if I had driven it a few more blocks. There was a lot of luck and a few angels at play here; before seeing the baggie and before replacing the slowly leaking rear main seal, I took the truck for a 300 mile joyride.

But every one of us looked at the bag of parts and were truly about WTF and how the hell? I mean most of my not wanting to give up on the truck was how smooth and quiet (it's a Trac I say that loosely) everything was. Playing back all the events in my head... now it all makes sense, but for noise, you'd only hear it at start up with the doors open, and occasionally if driving with the windows down.

And yes I cursed at the plastic and said "eff you you piece of plastic; you cannot be the death of my Trac."

8dde88ea96fa028c84c71b20db2d6caa.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Much cheaper than a new truck! Gotta remember that! License renewal/ property tax time, and insurance time would remind you that if you bought a new truck!

Get this, we were going to hit the engine mounts while in there. Apparently Ford discontinued the 4x4 mounts and they're either ridiculously expensive as an OEM part, or really crappy as an aftermarket part. The originals are still good and he trusts them more than the aftermarket ones which he's been seeing fail a lot.

There are a lot of parts on the Trac that I feel have outlasted, or been better lasting than their counterparts on other vehicles. What started out as a vehicle with a bad reputation for reliability I feel has been amazing over the years. Either that or that I've had exceptional luck.

I've always wanted to fix her, was always leaning that way, I just couldn't believe so many would say "unfixable, trade it". Stuff happens for a reason, and I believe I have a new mechanic.

Probably wouldn't hurt to check your oil pans and get "all ears" when you hear that rattle getting louder. This was an issue that was mostly not apparent and escalated quickly. This went from a whisper of a rattle that has been there for a while, to a pinging and like a bike chain rubbing against the frame at startup, and sometimes while driving. I think most people are thinking about the whisper rattle as the issue.

My rattle started screaming "THIS AIN'T RIGHT... okay I'll shut up now and... OMFG HELP ME THIS IS BAD... I'm going to sit here and read calmly now... RATTLE RATTLE SCRAPE OH MY GOD.".

Really it's a matter of time and making decisions about whether you want a new engine in there, and whatever collateral damage is caused by it locking up.

Do you recall about how quickly it went from "whisper" to "pinging"? I think I have an intermittent whisper and am considering replacing the spring-hydraulic tensioners to postpone the plastic grenading.

P.S. I too have a '01 with 235,000 miles and have had no significant failures. Maybe it's the Deep Wedegwood.

Maybe it's the Deep Wedegwood

LOL, nah, like I always said, "Quality is Job 2".

Whisper to screaming? Years, days, weeks, hours... it's exponential and won't end well. I know the moment it happened, but I can't imagine you won't notice it. Really it's just lucky vs unlucky; mine getting gradual warnings vs the next guy's engine going straight to seizing up.

The point I'm trying to make is that people shouldn't read "I have a cute litte timing chain rattle" like we've all grown to love, and confuse it with the loud, fear inducing, clacka-lacka, rattle-a-visa-mc-amex-cha-ching" noise that started embarrassing me at stop lights. Run a bicycle chain over a coffee can for an idea and picture it coming from under your hood.

I've had the whisper for the longest time now, I only have 167K miles, although 14 years with my Trac; some mechanics look at you like you're crazy, but I know every sound that is normal, occasional, and wrong on that truck. The whisper was always "you're going to f*** me over one day".

Well, thought I'd update since we're crossing 60 days now... Things have been going well; the repair was well worth it in the hands of a skilled mechanics' shop. Trac feels good and it's super quiet. Not really something I wanted to go through, but definitely worth it to have actually found a better mechanic. I know every shop has its limits, but this was nuts.

However, I hate the advice I got 98% of the time with this problem, "sell it now".

Old thread here, sorry guys, but has anyone replaced them as preemptive maintenance?

My '01 with 140K on it is running fine, and I don't think there are any problems, but we have not pulled the pan or valve covers. I want to give this truck to my 21 year old son, but I don't want it to detonate on him a few months down the road. Everything I read says that this is the age this starts to happen on these. I also hate to pull the engine out just to do this (and fix an apparently leaky valve cover) and cause other issues.

This truck has always been in AZ so has lived through hot summers and my lead foot.

The truck is in great shape, I have a lifetime warranty on the trans, and he really likes the truck.

Leave the sleeping dog or replace the guides (and chains while we're at it?)

Neither the spring-hydraulic tensioners or timing chains are preventative maintenance items. Repair as needed because they may not fail. I have just over 240,000 miles on my '01 with no noise (yet).

If yours starts making the little rattle, get the spring-hydraulic tensioners replaced promptly. I've not heard of the chains failing or needing to be replaced when the cassettes fail, but each engine has it's own wear and failures. Best take the advice of a trusted repair facility.

Latest posts