Throttle Position Sensor...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy Coleman

Reaction score
So... my truck wouldn't start or start for a second and then shut off... pulled the code and got a TPS code... so I replaced the sensor.. tried to start but same thing... so I cleared the code and then it started right up... idled really rough for a few minutes but then seemed to level out... took it out for a drive and it shifts odd, feels under-powerd in the low RPM's but then surges in high RPM's... my exhaust smells really rich too...

Is there something else I need to do?? I searched on these boards and all over the internet but don't seem to understand if I need to do something after replacing... I would assume the truck would learn and adjust as needed.. am I wrong?

I disconnect the battery, gonna see if that helps... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

CEL or trouble code still? You must rotate the TPS and feel slight spring tension when installing. Also be aware the SOHC and OHV TPS appear identical but have opposite rotation.

Last edited by a moderator:
No codes, no CEL... I turned the sensor against the spring to make sure it was good. It starts up fine, idles great but shifts terrible... the exhaust smells really rich...

I wonder if the sensor itself is bad? Perhaps it's a bum sensor?

I reconnected the batter after over 20 minutes but it's still the same... I am at a loss?!?!

What brand and part number? Motorcraft DY967 is the correct OEM part.

Unfortunately, I went to Autozone and got a Duralast part... they are really close to home and I had to use my wife's car so I didn't want to drive all around town... I double checked the part number online and it's the right one for my truck...

I am tempted to order a Motorcraft part to get the OEM part... for now, I can drive it it just drives terrible... when I take off, it's like it's on 3rd gear but once it hits 3k RPM, it surges and takes off... it's weird..

I am positive I installed it correctly, I just wonder if it's a malfunctioning sensor, perhaps not a good sensor??!?

Ford Explorer - Ranger TPS Test Procedure

I tested the new sensor and it was spot on perfect... The gradual progression to full open trottle was clean, no jumps in voltage...

I really don't know what the hell is wrong... It idles great, smooth as its ever been... It just shifts like crap...

Perhaps the MAF is dirty or malfunctioning??

Now I am getting another code P0102, MAF error for low input... grrr.. I am at a complete loss... I tested the MAF and the voltages were fine, all seems fine with the sensor...

I don't understand what is going on... I did the idle adjustment as noted above as this is recommended after replacing the TPS... that wen't great, it idles fine but drives terrible, shifts bad and feels really underpowered at times and then surges...

Appears to be two different AutoZone sensors for the 2001 ST. TPS245 shows only one 2001 fitment and may be for Job 1 engines only.

TPS246 shows 2001-05. Looking at the second pics the notches are also clocked differently. You installed a TPS246 for your Job 2, correct?

Check to see if you broke the sensor installing it. Common issue.

Todd Z

Update:

So, after lots of knuckle busting and almost losing my sanity, it turns out that both the TPS and MAF sensor's went bad. I mean, what are the chances of that happening?

I cross checked both original parts and both were bad. So with a new TPS and MAF installed, runs, shifts and drive like a dream!! Thank God I got that worked out. Been meaning to post an update and finally remembered and had the time.

Thanks so much for the all the help/input guys!!

Latest posts