Throttle Body

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Lavoie

Reaction score
Todd,

I asked a question in an earlier post but it's now long gone. and I believe it was just as you were leaving for your honeymoon.

My question is - what exactly - does a throttle body do?

Jimmy,

It allows an additional 26cfm of air to flow into the engine. the MAF picks up on the extra air and adds more fuel. More air and more fuel = more power (of course more spark helps too). Basically, it will give you more power, better throttle response, and an increase in gas mileage.

BTW, I wrote the throttle body project on the site.

The throttle body, regulates the air flow entering the engine. It then using the throttle postion sensor relays to the computer how much air is getting in, the computer allows the appropriate amount of fuel into the motor etc. Hope thats helps. Maybe someone else will chime in with a more acurate explenation.

As always, all your input helps clarify things.

Now, When Todd Z reads this, I'd like to order one.

Contact me to get it going.

Thanks again to all!

BTW - Jeff C. - I read your project - That's why I'm getting one. I'm not very mechanically inclined and you made it look easy. (thanks)

Last edited by a moderator:
As Mr. Rugby explains, the throttle body regulates the amount of air flowing through it, and, therefore, into the engine. The throttle position sensor (TPS) relays the position of the throttle to the CPU, so that demand (idle, acceleration, cruise, and deceleration) can be taken in to account. (The mass air flow sensor relays the temperature and amount of air flowing through the intake.)

recently...I cleaned my throttle body using the projects on this site...everything went well except for one bolt in an odd position that dropped down into the engine compartment... I got it with a magnet.....here is my issue.....recently...when I start the truck cold...the RPMs fluctuate and when I put it in reverse to back out of driveway....its seems to surge a little..at least until warmed up....SO......upon further review...I opened the hood today and noticed that there was a hose coming off of the air intake...just past the MAF sensor...that goes somewhere into the valve cover or something....it was disconnected...so it would seem to me that it was not letting something warm up fast enough .....thus the surge...I reconnected it....and at least the first start this morning let the engine idle a little faster this time and the reverse issue was gone....can anyone tell me what this bypass hose is for....its just past the MAF on the intake hose connected to the air filter compartment......my fault I know...but what does this hose do....like warm up the engine? duh!!!

Just Jimmy- you can order it from their website, (Todd isn't the only one with Zabteck)

trakster,

it lets crankcase gass back into the intake. If the hose is disconnected, you're letting un-metered air into the engine, thus causing it to run lean and stall. You can plug the intake tube and put a filter on the pipe going into the intake tube.

Jeff can you really get better gas millage with a bigger TB?? i always was under the impression that when I had my dakota with the 318 I would make things worse

Jimmy,

I am still away, But email Paul or George, they can both help you out...

E mails can be found on the Zabteck site..

Todd Z

Your right foot will make things worse, but if you stay out of it, mpg improvements can be expected.

Latest posts