Thought it was tires, it was front differential!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I posted a couple days ago that I had significant vibration at 25mph and loud humming coming from the front of my truck the faster I went. I thought it was my tires, so I got them rotated and balanced. Turns out it was my front differential. All the bearings are shot and needs a complete repair job, I had it confirmed by 2 auto repair places.

How much in parts/labor should I expect to pay for everything to be replaced? I have 80,000 miles on the truck and the mechanic said it's a common problem in Sport tracs due to "poor design". Any advice? Thanks in advance!

I don't know how common this is, or whether there is a difference between the '01 and '05, but I re-geared mine (changed the ratio) at 171,500 miles and all was well with the original differentials. I have mine serviced every 50,000 miles (FWIW).

Did you get estimates from those two shops?

I paid around $500.00 per differential.

(If you update the original thread, it's easier to find the problem, diagnosis and solution (one place).)

What does he mean by "Poor design"? It is a Dana 35 (I believe) with two axles coming from it. Not any real design that could be viewed as "poor". Lack of maintenance is a real possibility. A leaking seal resulting in low fluid level is possible.

We had a 2000 Explorer (same parts) with well over 220,000 miles with a flawless front differential and flawless transfer case.

What prices were you quoted? Typical differential rebuild should be about $500.00.

Tom