Those running 33's

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im running 285/75R16's (32.9") and I lost about 2 mpg or so city driving. Went from about 15/16 to about 13/14 mpg. I havent had to do enough highway driving to get an accurate check yet.

My guess would be that your around town numbers would go down due to the taller tire, BUT the highway numbers would go up due to the taller tire...

Todd Z

When I went to 31's I lost one MPG.

When I went to synthetic oil and Bosch Plat-2 plugs I got it back... :)

Not 33's but I thought it was relevant.

KatManT

you are going to lose due to the speed o is not correct i went to 31's readjusted speed o with Wfoy's tunner and i am getting 2 mpg's better

if you go to our sponsor site 2010 tire you will see the tire calculator and there might be a link to see just how it affects. some times a little taller tire will get better milage and sometimes it wont. but mine has 33 geolander II and they are great nice and quiet also handle great. but im getting around 18.5 on mine.

A taller tire will lower rpm, but at times that can also end up requiring more throttle to accelerate or maintain speed, especially with the brick-like aerodynamics of an ST, therefore hurting mpg. Lifting a truck to fit bigger tires will also hurt the aero. Late-model OHC engines like a little more rpm to be at their peak efficiency than an old-school OHV big V8.

Mid-70's 500-cube Cadillacs ran a 2.14 gear. :blink: That's why they're not worn out yet.

If you have 33" tires, seriously consider getting 4.56 gears to get the rpm vs. mph back to stock, it will probably help your mileage.