Thinking of moving into a Honda Ridgeline

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you might as well get the pilot if your gonna get the ridgeline IMO. its not enough of a truck to warrant buying it for the purpose of using it as a truck. Its a street machine only. IMO the sport trac has more power and capability in other places than just the highway. The ridgeline will need to stay on the highway for it to be reliable. So instead of getting that not very attractive looking ridgeline i would get the pilot. or another ST. JMO

I hear ya Clay. No, it isn't pretty, but for what I do it might be the best for me. I am in Sales, so the flat bed type truck is a better move for me to lug samples than an SUV type car/truck like a Pilot. I have a Gen1 ST, not a newer one, so the spare tire thing is also a concern for me. Instead of having to take cargo out of the spare under the truck, I now have to take car seats and stuff off of my back seats to get to the jacks, etc.

I do no to a lot of hauling, so I don't think I would notice the difference between the two.

Again, I am coming to an American website asking about an Import, so your responses are expected and appreciated, lol...:p:p:p

Mike,

I am coming to an American website asking about an Import, so your responses are expected and appreciated

True enough. We may be a little biased, but at least you are getting responses you can read and understand.

actually shaun I am getting great responses, not complaining about them at all actually. If I go to a Honda website they will dis Ford, GM, etc. In the end, every car/truck has had issues to someone, somewhere in the world. I have never bought used, and only considering it now because I can't get ahead in life financially by leasing my vehicles.

Cheers

Mike,

The first RLs were better than the first-gen STs, what in fit, finish, handling, tires, shocks, etc. If you are going to use the vehicle like a truck, then you are better off with an first-gen ST, get one used.

However, if you need a 5 passenger SUT (sports utility truck) that you want to hold its value, ride comfortably, have little issues with for the first 100k miles, then I would recommend the RL over the STs, even the new 2nd gen STs.

Ford has done a great job in improving relability in the new generation STs, and make them ride a whole heck of a lot better. If you do decide on an ST, steer clear of the V8, because for watever reason Ford seems to have many more tranny issues with the V8 than the V6.

Personally, given all the new generation ST tranny issues, and the high incident rate of the tranny issues on the previous generation STs, I probably would buy the RL over the ST, if buying new, again, tomorrow. Of course, if I knew I was only going to keep the vehicle for 70k miles, I might chance the ST if it was a GREAT deal.

TJR

I had my choice with the HRL but went with the Trac instead. More options with the trac, same money, sunroof, and bigger back glass!!! I drove the HRL for a day Liked the handling but was at home with the trac after having a F150!:D:)

actually shaun I am getting great responses, not complaining about them at all actually. If I go to a Honda website they will dis Ford, GM, etc. In the end, every car/truck has had issues to someone, somewhere in the world. I have never bought used, and only considering it now because I can't get ahead in life financially by leasing my vehicles.

My suggestion. Learn how to fix 99.9% of all issues you would have with a vehicle.

Go out and buy a high mileage vehicle for next to nothing. Drive it for two years. Make a monthly payment to yourself. For every month you drive it, make yourself a typical payment to yourself.

Any repairs needed or done comes out of the money you paid yourself as a car payment.

We are doing that with the 2000 Explorer we have. We got it with 136,000 miles. Paid a total of about $5,000.00 for it. Almost 2 years later, we now have 168,000 miles on it. Total repairs on it has been less than $600.00. So over the past 24 months, we have put away $300/month for a total of $7,400.00. Subtract the $600.00 in repairs and we have made $6,800.00 on it. If we were to sell it tomorrow, it would be worth, according to nada.com is about $2,500.00.

The most I could have possibly lost on that Explorer when we got it is the purchase price minus scrap value.

Buying a new car, you drop thousands off the purchase price when you drive it off the lot.

There are times when new is worth it, but most of the time, it isn't.

Tom

great points Tom, and the others. I think my main concern is if I decide to buy a used HRL through a dealer here in the Toronto area, I really could run into problems of not exactly knowing what work/recalls, etc, have been done. I am useless at fixing a clogged drain let alone a truck! Also, because I put on about 30k a year, a high mileage vehicle is not ideal for me in terms of driving to the ground.

Good advice on the V8 ST'S as well. I have to meet with my dealer in the next month or so to see what, if anything, Ford Canada will offer me on a sued truck if I decide to go that route. I love some options on my ST like the back glass, and even if the Honda has one as well, I don't think it's a full one. Keep the comments coming and thanks!

Also, because I put on about 30k a year, a high mileage vehicle is not ideal for me in terms of driving to the ground.

That is perfect for you. We have driven our 2000 Explorer 32,000 miles in 2 years. That comes out to almost 26,000KM's/year. We still havent finished the year yet. We will be putting about 2000 miles by the end of this year. That is another 3200 KM's.

High mileage does not kill a vehicle. Stop and go driving along with short trips kill a vehicle. Don't fall into the sucker scam..."This this is 5 years old and only has 10,000 miles on it, it is mint". That vehicle is trouble waiting to happen.

Tom

great points Tom, and the others. I think my main concern is if I decide to buy a used HRL through a dealer here in the Toronto area, I really could run into problems of not exactly knowing what work/recalls, etc, have been done. I am useless at fixing a clogged drain let alone a truck! Also, because I put on about 30k a year, a high mileage vehicle is not ideal for me in terms of driving to the ground.

Good advice on the V8 ST'S as well. I have to meet with my dealer in the next month or so to see what, if anything, Ford Canada will offer me on a sued truck if I decide to go that route. I love some options on my ST like the back glass, and even if the Honda has one as well, I don't think it's a full one. Keep the comments coming and thanks!

I've had issues with my 08 Sport Trac and I'd still pick it over a HRL.

I wanted the power to tow a camper or job trailer. I wanted a specific ST trim level that, other than my own, I've never seen in my area. I wanted a V8 because I love the sound of the engine and the performance at my feet.

I wanted an American brand.

I remember posting on this site and people flipping out if a dealer made a rail thin $1500 gross profit on a vehicle. Honda and Toyota make over double that per new unit. They have way more dealer cash than Ford to play with. If you're the type of person that doesn't want others to make money on you....don't buy a Toyota or Honda. They make at least twice as much per unit as domestics do.

Mike,

If you walked into my dealership and I had a used ST and a used HRL I'd push the HRL. I think the HRL is a better fit for you. You don't use your ST as a truck. It sounds like you barely have need for a truck bed. They HRL is basically a car platform. Why pay for something you're not going to use? You won't need the ridged frame, and you won't need the superior power and tow capacity. You do need the fuel economy and the larger interior. Maybe the design of the HRL bed will prove better for organizing your inventory as you travel from client to client.

I recently read a review online comparing the ridgeline with the sport trac. The review said that the sport trac rated better than the ridgeline in almost all categories, but in the end the ridgeline rated higher because it had a higher resale value, because it is perceived as being a better vehicle.

I drove a 2003 sport trac for four years - no probems, great vehicle. I'm driving a 2007 sport trac (v8) for approx 1 year - no problems, great vehicle. The sport trac is a great looking vehicle. The ridgeline is butt ugly, imo.

My 2cents.

I'm an eBay junkie.

I have a list of cars/trucks I watch all the time.

They send me an email every day letting me know all the new listings that meet my criteria.

The Ridgeline is one of the vehicles I watch. Don't ask me why.

Of all the vehicles I watch, Ridgelines are the most prolific in the used market.

Lots of choices from 2005 to 2007 (my criteria) and they don't seem to sell very well. I don't know why, but many of them come and go with zero bids. And that's not just lately. I've been watching them since Spring. Of course, it may be worse now, since sale of ALL vehicles on eBay is down.

Another factor could be that the 09 model is due out and it's a restyle. More power and new standard features and additional options.

Personal observations.

I've driven the RL a couple of times and know 3 people who have them.

Nice ride. Hate the console. Archaic stereo. Love the two way tail gate. Love the bed storage and lighting. Hate the look from the front and side. Friends say the mileage is very disappointing and Honda parts are very expensive, when needed.