Thinking about trading the ST for a Subaru

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather inOC

Reaction score
So my carpool situation has changed and I am now driving 60 miles round trip 5 days a week. With my trac getting 12 mpg, I'm thinking I might trade it in for the '06 Subaru Impreza wagon. It's kind of a goofy looking car, but at 26 mpg and AWD it might be something I'll go for. Test drove one the other day and I was really surprised that it had some decent pick-up. I don't think I'll go for the WRX since mpg is my main concern, but the stock wagon felt fairly zippy. Any thoughts on the Subaru?

Everytime I look at my ST I feel myself changing my mind about trading it in, but I am a student and can't really afford $100 a week in gas :( Makes me sad.

-Heather in OC

Heather, are you driving on the interstate or highway? Adjust your driving habits. I drive like a bat out of hell and I still get 15mpg. Would the loss you take in trading in make up for the savings in gas?

Jeff-

I'm mostly highway. I've tried driving under 70, keeping my foot off the gas, etc and still can't get it to go up. Wouldn't really lose much on it because I got such a great deal on the ST.

[Broken External Image]:

Heather, :(

Remove the roof rack cross bars, and put the stock wheels and tires back on if you still have them. This will save you a few mpg. You are getting very low gas mileage. I have a heavy foot and 285/75/16 tires and still get about 14mpg in NY.

The Trac is sooo much better looking than the Subaru.

George

Time for a tune-up maybe? I mean, my tach sees 5k at least three or four times on the 5 mile drive to school.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think if I were getting 14 or 15 mpg I'd still be looking to trade-in. Those are not real impressive numbers compared to the 26-30 I could get in a wagon. I know the sub is fugly, but I've had my dream truck for a year and I think it's time I start getting realistic.

-Heather in OC

Yeah - something is very wrong. If I drive like a maniac (with lots of steep hills), my WORST is 15mpg. I've been getting 19 to 22 on the highway - and mine is brand new and not broken in yet. 12MPG is just horrible.

I'm not sure I understand why you would pick the Subaru when there are other choices out there that get better MPG, are just as nice, and cost the same or less....but that's just me.

I wouldn't rush to judgement yet....I think fuel prices are going to settle back down soon (especially if Bush passes the bill to post a massive tax on windfall profits from oil companies). Right now everyone is in a panic.....and it will hurt you on trade in value - BIG TIME! (trust me....I'm in a different situation and am trying to sell or trade my new 07 and now just how big a beating you will take). Before you trade the ST (and take a huge hit), why not just buy a cheap used car for commuting? If you buy a decent used Civic or such (that holds it's value), you can probably find one with payments for less than what you would be spending in fuel for the ST. Keep the ST for now, and if fuel prices go back down, sell the Civic for about what you paid for it.

The huge tires don't help, Also can get a SCT x-cal with a mpg tune to help you out..

I drive the same way, and I get 15-17 and I got 27 on the last road trip i took.

Hopefully more when I go to Louisville, I want to try to break 30mpg!!!

Todd Z

But you've done so much to it!! I'd hate for a fellow SoCal MYST member give up their Trac (especially a nicely modified one). I feel your pain though. Best of luck.

I have a ST and a Subaru Legacy. I really like them both. Of course I like the looks of the ST much better, but the Soob's MPG and AWD sure is nice. I've had Soobs for years and put over 200K on 3 of them. One had ~265K when the next happy owner drove it to their house. I replaced the timing belts when scheduled and the occasional CV joint, but otherwise, they've all been very very dependable. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Mi madre has an '05 Subary Legacy Ltd GT with the turbo. I believe her mileage is between 22 and 30, adjusted to the driving condition. For my immediate family, it is the seventh Subaru. Despite stories of problems, I can attest that the Subarus together have had fewer problems that my 1996 Explorer and my 2004 Trac. I like Ford, and particularly its SUVs, but when it comes to dependability, Subaru is hard to beat.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Traded my '01 ST for an '06 Escape I-4 MT. I miss the ST but I've cut my gas bill in half.

I looked at a Subaru Baja, among others, but Ford was much more willing to deal and had better incentives. Walked out owning a new Escape for surprisingly little cash.

Made a little money back on my mods but basically took a severe beating on those expenditures. Guess that's to be expected.

It seems clear gas prices will continue to rise at least through Summer. Could mean a glut of poor MPG vehicles on the used car market by Fall (not to mention the new guzzlers they keep cranking out and discounting).

Although, never did try the XCal2. ToddZ, 27MPG is impressive.

My 2 cents...try and modify for MPG or trade soon.

this may sound a little silly but, if you don't have a cover over your bed put the tailgate down. the wind whipping up over the truck can cause some drag with the tailgate up. give it a shot and see if it helps at all. nice looking trac by the way.

Heather, is the 'Trac *paid off* or close to it. The reason I ask is because even though my gas mileage is kinda crappy, it is PAID OFF, I can buy a lot of dinosaur juice for the price of a carnote.

Have a good one

Bob

that was what i was thinking you went from a 235 70 16 to a 32'' tall tire you are going way further than you think

Latest posts