Thinking about trading the 07 for an 05...am I crazy?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had an 01 that I absolutely loved. I traded it for a brand new one that I really like. The 01 has 110K on it and started to need work, I travel a lot for work and home. I think I jumped the gun though. The payments are a bit higher that I would like, even though I just refinanced. I swear the old one ran smoother & got better gas mileage. Not to mention that it takes $10 more a tank to fill it and it doesn't go any further and that when I bought the new one, three dealers told me the power back window was gone for good. I am seriously considering trading the 07 for an 04 or 05. I'd still have a vehicle that's 4 years newer than my old one and I already know I love, and a power back window to boot. I'm worried though because I keep hearing I'm not going to get what the truck is worth because it's new. Also, I'm afraid the ones that are used may have been beaten on in their former lives. Sorry for the lengthy explanation. What do you guys think? And any idea what I will lose on the new one? It's a Limited and has about 7K mi. Thanks.

I'd hold on to the '07 for awhile unless the payments are really killing you in which case you'd get a better resale price if you sell it yourself. Too bad about the back window they didn't put them in the first models but they are putting them into the '07s now because I have one on order. If you really miss the window maybe you can see if you can get one installed. Best of luck with the decision you know your situation best.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you'd have checked in with this website, you would have known that the Job 2 '07's would bring back the power down back window.

Is it just the job 2 '07 that offers the rear power window or just tracs built after May 1 '06?

Sorry about your situation. I would definitely hold onto it if you can afford the payments because you are going to take a big loss if you sell it so soon. Since the engine only has 7,000 miles it is still breaking in and you should eventually get better gas mileage. If you decide to get rid of it definitely sell it because you will get the most that way.

George

They have been putting the power rear windows in for awhile now. All the ones on the lots around here have the PDBL. Job 2 doesn't start for a few more weeks (8/7).

Dragonflyl - have you test driven an '04 or '05 since owning your '07. That would give you a better feel for the differences. The extra $ for the '07 are porbably a bummer, but selling it getting an '04/'05 may not prove any better. Only way to find out is to start shopping.

I have an '05, Black, with full leather (tan) interior, sunroof, all power, factory painted cladding,

Pioneer 200 watt stereo with all four door speakers replaced, hard locking factory tonneau

cover, premium wheels, Dealer Replaced Camber Kit, under warranty, Mobil One Oil

since the second oil change with a Motocraft Filter, 21.5 M.P.G. Average...

Make me an offer!!!:)

We can verify that the 3 dealer that told you that the back rear window was gone for good are liers, because we saw them on the assembly line in Louisville in June. See if you can exchange your '07 for a job 2, but wait until after Aug. when the akward door pull issue is going to be resolved.

A plus for your '07 is that the powertrain warranty is now 5yr/60k. Also have roadside assistance for the entire 5yr/60k. :D

Dragonfly says:
I'm worried though because I keep hearing I'm not going to get what the truck is worth because it's new. Also, I'm afraid the ones that are used may have been beaten on in their former lives.

You just summed up the reason many buy used and others don't.

The fact is your 07 has 7K miles on it, it is "almost" new, and it dropped several thousands in value the moment you drove it off the lot. Those are the facts. If it makes you feel any better you WOULD get what the truck is "worth", the problem is, it just isn't worth what you want it to be.

As for buying used...you might try a vehicle locator service/person. They will hunt for a cherry of an 05, but for a fee. Or, put feelers to to places like "Carsense", etc, that primarily deal with off-lease, low mileage vehicles.

TJR

Keep the '07- you will regret it when you see them driving by your '05. Your loan terms on a '05 would probably be less favorable as well. The power rear window is not that critical. Take your '07 to the dealer and ask what they would give you for it- I think it will be at least 3 grand less than you paid.

Unless you find someone to take the 07 off your hands it is not likely that you will even break even thru a dealer. It lost value the second it was titled. On top of that, your wanting to get the intrest back as well. That simply will not happen due to the short time you have owned it.

That said, if your totally unhappy, find a way to be happy.It will cost money, but may be worth it.

I have an 05 XTL Premium 4x4.

I test drove the 07 and even teh dealer liked the 05 over the 07. I wanted an adreiln, within 150 miles could only find this demo Premium..

It felt like the 07 was more of a ranger 4 door. Also it no longer had the rear power window. big no-no in my book.

My .02Cents.

ive had my 07 for about three weeks now. got it the way i wanted it off the lot. i was talking to a buddy of mine who has one and he got in mine and was like wow i like this one better than mine and when he drive he was blown away he was like damn i like this. how about three days latr he came by in his new 07. so i mean its really up to you. my payment is only 260 a month (traded an 05 RSX Type S) so i dont feel nothing when it comes time to pay for her.