Think I could Tow This?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ape

Reaction score
Do you guys think my 04 ST could tow a 1969 Impala (4200 lbs) with hauler (1000 -1500 lbs) for around 850 miles? If now, anyone want to help me out? ;)

Ape Out.

Based on the numbers alone it depends on your truck and the trailer weight. A good rule of thumb is the towing vehicle should outweigh the towed by 850Lb or more. Depending on your truck & the trailer weight you are either at the limit or moderatly exceeding. When the towed car out weighs the lead vehicle, it could be a disaster. I towed an old beetle with a 93 4x4 v8 Dakota which was carring my 5ft gun safe in the bed for 500 miles and occasionally the bug would bite back over bridges & potholes Could it? maybe. If you towed it at 40mph? Would I risk it? Absolutly not. You could risk your ST & you Impala in a rollover.

Base curb weight

4x2: 4135

4x4: 4349

GVWR

4x2: 5660

4x4: 5840

Max towing capacity, properly equipped

4x2: 5300

4x4: 5080

Your Towed Vehicle

Car 4200

Trailer 1000-1500

5200-5700

Tom S has towed well over that with his 2wd auto ST, I think 1 time as long as it is cool out and NO ac you should be fine 1 time..

Todd Z

I think you should be ok to tow it. I've towed a couple trucks on uhaul trailers with know problems. If your engine by chance does get hot just turn on the heater and roll the windows down, the only reason I'm saying the is I see that it's hot down south already. You should be cool to tow it though. Just take your time.;)

As long as the trailer has brakes, you should have no problem. OD will not be an option, and you WILL know it's back there. If you keep it around 55-60mph, the tranny will run a bit cooler too. Maybe consider a tranny flush with a filter change before you tow it.

Ape, I tow all the time with my ST and it actually pulls better and straighter then my friends '06 F250 that is "built specifically" for towing bigger trailers. Like I said before just take your time and don't make quick lane changes. I drive OTR and I have seen my fair share of ST's wrecked on the side of the road, because they were pulling camper trailers that should only be towed by a dually. If you have experience towing than you know how to react to situations and know to respect the trailer because if you don't , that's when it will show you who's boss. I've seen it too many time Over the road too many people just hook up whatever they want and drive like they don't even have anything on the back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tips. My brother inlaw is very experience in towing thing from Air Boats to Huge Swamp Buggies. I am sure we will be alright it will just take a little longer getting home.

Ape Out.

Ape

I'm kind of curious myself on some feed back from your tow.

I hope your Impala tow went without any proplems. I would love to use my ST for local or short blast towing. My Dakota was a beast and I would love it if this ST could do the occasional "Barn Find" tow.

Let us know what you observed during the ride, and any thing we should look for.

Andy

The guy flaked out on the day before I was supposed to leave. The deal is dead. Now looking at one in Liberty, MO. Gonna have that one shipped if it works out.

Ape Out.

Ape,

There's a very nice 67 or 69 Impala for sale by me. Looks clean. It's a light metalic turquoise. $7k.

P.S. It has low miles and I don't think you would have to tow it. It supposedly runs very well. Looks garage kept, but painted in the last few years...not sure about that last thing though. I can post pics if you want.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts