Thermostat Housing Leak, Tonneau Pic, Compliments

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon W

Reaction score
Hi all.

Replaced the thermostat about a month ago, as the old one was bad and engine was getting too hot. We are running nice and cool now, but I have a small leak out of the housing now. I presumed this was from using the old O-ring (Had to bc couldn't get the old one in-stock anywhere). Finally got the O-ring in and replaced it a few days back. However, I still have a leak.

It's not a fast leak at all. after about 100 miles of driving over the weekend the coolant in the reservoir droped about a half inch. BUT, it's getting to be a pain having to pop to hood every week and re-fill.

It appears that the leak is coming through between either the lower housing joints (where the lower housing parts come together), or else the main joint where the upper housing meets the lower housing (where the t-stat and o-ring sit in).

Anybody have any thoughts or creative ideas, or does it sound like replacing the entire housing is the best action?

Thanks as always.

Unrelated - Paul - The billet tie downs are awesome. Easy to get, easy to install? They'd look awesome paired next to my diamondplate tonneau. I have been saying for a long time I'd get a picture of it on here. There's one on here now, but it didn't turn out great.

Oh and if I had the time, effort, and cash flow, my truck might look half as good as Todd Z's.

One can always dream.

Brandon

Did you check it for cracks????

Where both surfaces clean?

You can apply some RTV gold high temp on the seat where the o ring meets the flat surface to help it seal..

Thanks for the compliment on the looks.......:cool::cool:

Todd Z

Thanks guys.

Will check out all that you mentioned and see if I can't get some improvement.

Will post better pictures when I can.

Regards,

Brandon

Latest posts