The right way to tie your shoes,,,LOL

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieS'04

In Memoriam 1950-2022
Reaction score
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zAFcV7zuUDA?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's amazingly difficult to do when you have been tying your shoes the same way for ever. But I do have trouble keeping some shoes tied, especially those with round laces so I will give it a shot.

Well, I'll be...

Just laced up my dress shoes and it worked nicely. Now I need the proper way to keep 'em shiny longer.

That's suprising. I have tried that technique with all my round-lace shoes and it really does work. I am abolutely stunned that such a seemingly insignificant change in the procedure (going under the loop instead of over would make such a difference but it does.

I have some round-lace shoes that I hate to wear because they always become untied...like about every 30 minutes. When I remember to use this technique, they stay tied until I untie them.

:supercool::haveabeer::banana:

...Rich

Strange isnt it.

I always tell people, that this site has info for anything..Almost....:bwahaha:

I'm surprised he didn't mention what the difference between the two is. One (the "wrong" way) is basically a "granny knot" with bows. The other (the "right" way) is basically a square not with bows. And as anyone who has ever been taught the difference between a granny knot and a square knot knows, a square knot is a much stronger knot than a granny, which can easily come loose.

Also--if you're used to doing it the "wrong" way, and you want to learn to do it the "right" way, there are two primary ways to fix it. One--the way he shows--involves changing how you tie the bows. But the other may be simpler--change the direction of the first half of the knot (the part before you start making the bows). Instead of right over left, do left over right (or vice versa--whichever is opposite of what you're currently doing). Then do the bows the way you typically do it. The key is to have the first and second half be wrapped in the opposite directions of each other.

Several years of scouting are actually paying off here... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tip Bill. I have been doing the left over right in the first half as it was really hard for me to get used to changing the bow part. My round laces always loosened up before. Not anymore. Thanks again.

Learned that trick several years ago but not for the reason of loosening shoelaces. I discovered it to get straight across bow loops.

Latest posts