The New F-100

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Johnson 2

Reaction score
According to Pickuptrucks, Ford is working on a new F-100 series mid-size pickup truck that would share the new F-150 platform and possibly replace the Ford Ranger. The new pickup is expected to arrive by 2011 and it is believed that the truck will feature Ford's new EcoBoost twin turbo gasoline direct injection V6 engine, or possible 4.4 liter V8 diesel which is expected for the 2010 F-150. Either way, it's all just speculation, as no official word has come from Ford yet.[Broken External Image]:

If that graphic is accurate, it's still missing two doors.

I posted some rumors about this a few weeks back. I'd say that it's now more than rumors. It's highly likely this is gonna happen.

This explains why the Ford Marketing reps wouldn't talk beyond 2009 at the Louisville Meet.

wow, i hope they follow through with that! I'd love to own one of those bad-a$$ toys.

PRM, I personally have always been a fan of 2 door trucks, but couldnt resist when it came to the Sport Trac. I'm also not a family man.

I wonder what a 2-door ST would look like?:huh:

It's been my experience that dealerships are an extremely unreliable source for new car information. Most of the time, when I walk into a dealership, I already know more about the vehicles on the lot, and future news than the staff at the dealership. With a few exceptions, (like those that are members of this site:)), most dealership staff are clueless.

Here's my previous post on this, with the blog posting that actually states that the F-100 will actually replace the ST.

There's also been a story in the news recently about Ford shifting production at Louisville to smaller cars, like the Focus. That would certainly seal the fate of the Sport Trac.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched a video a while back. It was ford engineers talking about having full and midsize F-150. They were actually showing the frame and other parts. Giving specs on the weight difference. I lost trac of the vid before I could post it..

I can see a plant or two being closed and production consolidated at a newly-retooled plant that can produce perhaps explorers, escapes, and edge (unibodies), or else one (hopefully) that can produce "on-frame" vehicles like F-150, Explorers/F-100s, Expeditions.

Ford still has way too much assembly plant capacity that they are going to need to consolidate and reduce.

The kentucky Truck plant down the road from lap is tooled to be a flex manufacturing plant therfore can produce any vehicle that is frame based...:cool:

The ST will die. The F100 will replace it.

I will get what I want. A solid rear axle on a vehicle I use as a truck.

I just hope the bed will be small enough.

Tom

The F-100 and the Ranger are the same truck. They are just changing the name for marketing reasons. The name "Ranger" has been on death watch for awhile now. The ST will not be replaced by this.

BD,

The F-100 and Ranger are not the same truck. If you read the articles in the links posted, you'll see that the F-100 is a derivative based off of the F-150 frame; similar to how Nissan designed the current Frontier off of the Titan frame. The F-100 would be slightly larger than a traditional Ranger.

And the ST is based on the Explorer platform, so if Ford discontinues the Explorer and shifts LAP production to the Focus, then bye-bye ST. As I said, this explains why the Ford Marketing reps at the Louisville meet wouldn't talk beyond 2009.

The gentleman, I can not remember his name, that gave us the tour at the Louisville plant told my wife and I that the ST was probably going to Chicago and that the new, European, Focus would probably be coming there, he did not say when or that it would definitely happen. This is what the big meeting in Detroit with all the big wigs was about, according to him. I have also heard that the new F-100 would be replacing the ST and the Ranger. And you are right Train Trac, the dealerships know little or nothing about what is going on or about the vehichles they sell. I knew a hell of a lot more about the ST when I bought it than anyone there.

Reblford,

I think the guy's name was Orville. I do seem to remember that it started with an "O". I'm not sure if what he said about the ST being assembled in Chicago has any validity, thought. First, that'll be dependent upon the Explorer still being in production. Second, the only products currently assembled at the Chicago Assembly Plant are the Taurus, Taurus X, and Mercury Sable. And that's the only location where those cars are assembled. So they'd either have to shift them somewhere else, or discontinue that line.

Face it, I think the Explorer/Mountaineer/Sport Trac line's days are numbers.:(

Latest posts