The Hubs exploded -Bummer

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Donaldson

Reaction score
well last Sunday I took the sport trac from Sebastian FL home to Ft. Pierce which was an hr drive and other than some rough idling due to some vacuum leaks and no speedometer everything seemed fine. well it just so happens that on Tuesday I was taking it for a spin around the neighborhood and while doing a 3 point turn I heard a pop. So I started immediately home and as a symphony of terrible noises came from the front end. well as it turns out the wheel bearings on BOTH sides completely failed! So after doing some research I found out that apparently you can only get the entire hub assembly for of course $150 per side. BUMMER!!! so... just another set back...

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

....:angry:.... bummer

-edit: for those who do not know I converted my 2wd v6 sport trac to an awd v8

Last edited by a moderator:
Don,

They are WAY cheaper then that aftermarket..... I have seen them for $80 or so....

That sucks, Sounds like the ones you used on the conversion were shot or the axle nut was over torqued....

Let us know how you make out..

Todd Z

I think he did the AWD conversion .......

I bet the used hubs he got were just Rusty or shot from the get go.....

Todd Z

Todd, you are probably right. The hubs most likly already damaged. Wear and tear or set up too long.

I didnt catch the part about going AWD in the conversion.

Since you made it AWD, you definitely don't want to skimp on the quality of hub assembly to save a few bucks. The extra weight form the V8 swap and the AWD conversion will put serious stress on stock hubs. I'd look for Explorer V8 hubs or find out what fullsize truck hub if any would fit. Might want to look into swapping the front spindles and whole assemblies.

Yeah, that's really weird that both of them would blow up at the exact same time.

I would tend to think it's either a really strange coincidence, or some kind of unusual stress from your conversion caused it.

Jerry,

They were Explorer V8 hubs that he had. His truck was 2wd, but he used the Explorer parts and converted everything. Also, as far as I know, there's no real difference between the parts anyway. The V8 Ex's didn't get anything extra heavy duty, aside from a different torsion bar to account for the weight.

what Dan said is all correct. There is no difference between v6 and v8 hubs and everything except of course gear ratio's are the same on all 96 to 01 explorers, 97-99 mountaineer, 98 to 02 sports and 01-02 at least sport tracs. I say only to 02 on the sport and sport trac because I heard something about them using different abs sensors on some cars after that. an then there is all ways doing a conversion to vacuum lock out hubs. I considered those but decided that I am done "modding" for now. :D

Latest posts