The Definitive Transfer Case Lube Thread

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny O

Reaction score
I posted a Member Project years ago on changing the transfer case lube, so for how-to's look there. My '08 Trac will hit 150k this week and I've changed the t-case lube every 30k since new. Also previously on a Ranger and another Trac that I didn't keep as long. Here is what I've learned. If you look carefully the manual will tell you to change it every 60k. However if you drain it at 30k you will see that it looks like tar. This is probably due to breaking in from new because at 60k it looks better and by 90k it drains out pink. Today at 150k it drained out clean with some fine metal filings in it which is normal. My recommendation would be to change it at 30k (we're all probably past that), again at 60k, then every 60k after. I have used Mobil 1 ATF, Redline D4, and the last two times Valvoline Synpower Transfer Case Lube.

My Trac is a 2002 and nearing 190,000 miles, I don't think this has ever been done. Do you guys think this is safe to do? Or is it similar to transmission fluid, where it may be better to leave it alone.

I changed mine at 130K.

Aaron, it's just gears and a chain running around in a pool of ATF, no clutches or anything like a tranny, it will be fine to change it. You will probably notice the truck running smoother.

Latest posts