The 6 Hour Oil Change

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Wolf

Reaction score
Figured someone might get a chuckle at this...

Just turned over 2,000 in the new ST, so figured it was time to switch over to Mobil 1...

Drain the oil... Check...

Take off the oil filter... Yeah, What a pain in the a**...

The original oil filter did not want to break loose.

Since I usually use K&N oil filters with the nut on the end, I needed an oild filter changey tool.

Get the usual one that slips over, end up rounding off the end of the oil filter.

Get one of those at sears that gets tighter as you touque it, bent it to pieces, the filter and the tool. Took advantage of the craftman warranty, and replaced it.

Second one, Snaps broken where the ratchet goes in.

The filter is getting pretty bent up, figure I'll try another type of filter wrench from Sears, if that doesn't work, I'm putting oil back in and going to the dealer tomorrow.

This one, i'm using all my might, it looks like it might be moving a bit...

Splat! Oil everywhere, I punctured the filter... Great... I must do this at home, now.

Finally, found a C Clamp, got it on the filter, found a huge screwdriver and used it as a pry bar. Not alot of room there to work, but finally.... It started to turn...

I shed some blood on this...

That first oil change is a tough one, that filer was on there pretty tight.

What the heck was that all about... I guess they ultra torqued that thing at the factory or something.

Fair warning, 1st oil change will be fun. I don't remember it being this difficult on my 02 back then.

I thought I was the only idiot who cursed the Ford employee who put the damned filter on too tight when I swiched over to Mobil one synthetic.

Always wondered how they fit an impact on an FL-820S. :rofl:

I always have a large pair of water pump pliers handy to get my filters off :fire: . One time I didnt have them handy, I hammered a large flat head screwdriver through the filter, and twisted it off that way :grin: .

Dave :toilet:

I have a filter wrench that looks like this:

[Broken External Image]:

A couple years ago I used it to remove the filter on the emergency generator at my church, which had been on for God knows how long. :rofl: It totally crushed the end of the filter. I got it off with a rubber strap wrench. They work nicely if you have room for it.

LOL..... I CURSED and screamed changing the oil on my gen 2,.,,,, LOL

See my post below !! LOL

Todd Z

From what I have noticed on many new cars. I think the factory dosnt oil the gasket. I have had to use my brothers wrench. It is a nylon strap, connected to a 1/2" square tube. With a 1/2" ratchet. It will keep crushing the filter, until it turns.

Never seen another like it. He doesnt remember where he got it.

Eddie, I bet you are right about not oiling the gasket. Clean rubber on clean metal, then heated for a few months, on and off, and you tend to get a good "baked on" seal.

Or (or maybe, AND), to avoid leaks, the factory simply tighens the every living CRAP out of the filters.

Either way, it's a major PITA.

TJR

The filter on my 2010 was also on there crazy tight. Took a lot of trying and cursing but i also got it.

:angry:

Let the damn dealer change it the first time! What a disaster that first filter is.

I always write a date on the filter with a sharpie so the tech knows he HAS to change it, not just wipe it off!

Tony,

I would hope the dealer wouldn't do it , but a little denatured alcohol on a paper towel will wipe the sharpie ink clean off.:banghead:

Said this before, but my wife took our car to the Valvoline Lube place before we were leaving town. I had to work, so she took it up there. Told her they would try to sell her everything, and to hold her groung, at JUST an oil change. They tried the hard sell, and after the second time approaching her with "urgently" needed repairs, she finally got loud and said NO, JUST THE DAMN OIL CHANGE. They left her alone after that...

3000 miles later I got under there to change the oil and found the guy under the car had written (in a sharpie I assume) "FU** YOU BIT**" I was FURIOUS... I kept the old filter and after the oil change I drove up there and confronted the manager. He apologized and didnt deny it.. The guy that did that no longer worked there, and had been fired for doing this to other cars. They offered 2 free oil changes. After the 2 free changes, i havent been back since. I dont blame the company for the actions of that one guy, but, I do blame them for trying to hard sell a woman just because they think she wont know any better.

JohnnyO:

I had the Craftsman one like in your picture. It punctured the filter, but the filter was finally bent so out of shape, it wasn't getting a good grip.

ToddZ:

Yeah. Your post sounded a lot like my situation.

I'm glad that first oil change only happens once.

Latest posts