thanks massachussetts voters !

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary s

Reaction score
massachussetts citizens voted to eliminate greyhound racing by 2010.

question3, the greyhound protection act passed 56% to 44%.

this is an important step in eliminating greyhound racing nationwide. currently there are 10 states that still approve of racing.

if you not aware, (without going into detail) these beautiful loving dogs are not in the best enviorment while they are "housed" when not racing. not to mention, that after they are done racing, there destiny is in question. :(

if you are interested getting a dog soon, i encourage you to go to a meet & great at your local petco to see this greyt dog and gather some info :)

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the advertisements were completely misleading as to the number of deaths the greyhounds suffered while caged. It was cause by a disease not abuse. Horse racing is much harder on horses than greyhound racing is on horses. They both are required to treat the animals humanely. Why wasn't horse racing banned? We worry more about greyhounds than we do about people it seems. Try to keep our priorities straight. That's just my opinion.

That reminds me of the dog food diet joke!

about busted a gut on that one.:lol:

thanks Eddie!

[/qYesterdays shoping experiance by Fast Eddie'04, 8/30/2008 08:45 ET

Category - Off-topic

Yesterday I was at Wal-Mart buying a large bag of Purina dog chow for my

loyal pet Sheriff the Wonder Dog and was in the checkout line when woman

behind me asked if I had a dog.

What did she think I had, an elephant? So since I'm retired and have

little to do, on impulse I told her that no, I didn't have a dog, I was

starting the Purina Diet again. I added that I probably shouldn't,

because I ended up in the hospital last time, but that I'd lost 50

pounds before I awakened in an intensive care ward with tubes coming out

of most of my orifices and IV's in both arms.

I told her that it was essentially a perfect diet and that the way that

it works is to load your pants pockets with Purina nuggets and simply

eat one or two every time you feel hungry. The food is nutritionally

complete so it works well and I was going to try it again (I have to

mention here that practically everyone in line was now enthralled with

my story.)

Horrified, she asked if I ended up in intensive care because the dog

food poisoned me. I told her no; I stepped off a curb to sniff an Irish

Setter's ass and a car hit us both.

uote]

let everyone just stop abusing ANY animals for any reason...profit, pleasure, etc...why don't a few of the owners run around the track for a change to see how it feels...I really don't know why people think it is OK to do this. As my girl walks into the computer room to see where I am...Abby...they have feelings...[Broken External Image]:

this is an important step in eliminating greyhound racing nationwide. currently there are 10 states that still approve of racing.

Greyhounds were bred for racing. I like going to the dog track to watch the dogs race.

I would be sad to see Greyhoun racing made illegal. After all, they are only animals.

Tom

Am I the only one surprised by Caymen's stance?:huh:

As a "Progressive" you should stand with PETA

and all the other Animal Rights groups.

Do you own a fur coat? or leather?

Are we only animals too?

I think what Tom was trying to say was simply that it is in a greyhound's genetics to race. Put two of them in a field, and watch what they do. It's just unfortunate what happens off the track. When greed takes over, people will sacrifice the well-being of any animal (even other human beings).

If dog racing were simply a group of dogs, let to go run on a track after a rabbit toy, and then allowed to go to a nice, cozy, warm house after the race with plenty of kibble, would you still be opposed?

Please don't attack the racing, and the fun of watching dogs run (they do this every day in fields and dog parks) - attack the treatment.

Caymen,

I applaud you for having the courage to say what you said.

We are a hypocritical society that picks and chooses which so-called "abuses" of animals we will tolerate.

We had this discussion before. If someone denounces greyhound racing in one breath and asks to "pass the chicken nuggets" in the next, that is the type of hypocricy I am talking about.

Do I think we can do better? Do I think we can abuse animals less? Of course!

But very, very few in this world can with conviction rally against one abuse without a littany of other abuses that they commit willingly and with good conscience.

TJR

Are we only animals too?

I do not own a fur coat. I like leather. The smell, the feel, ahhh. We are an animal too at the top of the food chain. If you look at nature, you will see that it is a cruel world out there.

I think what Tom was trying to say was simply that it is in a greyhound's genetics to race. Put two of them in a field, and watch what they do. It's just unfortunate what happens off the track. When greed takes over, people will sacrifice the well-being of any animal (even other human beings).

You got it Jenn. Greyhounds like to run. Much the same as a hunting dogs like to hunt. It is in their nature. It is not cruel to make them do what they were selectivly bred to do.

Please don't attack the racing, and the fun of watching dogs run (they do this every day in fields and dog parks) - attack the treatment.

That is right. Go after the cruel dog track owners. Prosecute the owners. Make laws regulating the treatment of those animals. Don't pass a law making it illegal for dogs to race.

Do I think we can do better? Do I think we can abuse animals less? Of course!

Senseless abuse is wrong plain and simple. The Marine throwing the puppy off the cliff was simpy disgusting. Abusing an animal at any level is foul, to say the least. Greyhound racing is a fine sport, if the animals are treated fairly.

But very, very few in this world can with conviction rally against one abuse without a littany of other abuses that they commit willingly and with good conscience.

Very true.

Tom

p.s. I am a dog owner and animal lover. If it were up to me, I would have many more animals than I have now. I love all animals. (Except when they attack me or when I am hungry)

I feel that a better solutions would have been to force a more humane treatment to the greyhounds rather than banning them from raceing. Like California's prop 2 which passed overwhemingly.

Proposition 2, or the Standards for Confining Farm Animals [1] , appeared on the November 2008 ballot in California, where it passed with 63.3% of the vote.

Prop 2 creates a new state statute that prohibits the confinement of farm animals in a manner that does not allow them to turn around freely, lie down, stand up, and fully extend their limbs.

Voters in other states have voted to eliminate calf and pig crates, but Proposition 2 in California in 2008 is the first time voters will have been asked to eliminate the practice of confining chickens in battery (small, confining) cages.

[/quotAm I the only one surprised by Caymen's stance?

As a "Progressive" you should stand with PETA

and all the other Animal Rights groups.

Are we only animals too?

e]

Just wanted to see your reply.

I've been to dog and horse races myself.

I'm glad alot of people adopt these beautiful

dogs, they do make excellent pets, and they usually don't bark.

they are gentle with kids and very affectionate dogs.

Man after the election, you just don't seem to get as fired up!:lol:

Man after the election, you just don't seem to get as fired up!

After the election this website is not bombarded with unsubstianted babble about things that will never happen.

Tom

I am also a greyhound owner and the wife and I are volunteers in a local greyhound adoption group. I am not opposed to racing, the dogs LIKE to race, as long as they are well-treated in the kennels in the meantime. Our group gets most of the dogs from the track in Wheeling, I've been to their kennels personally, and they are well-treated. Not every place is as good, I realize. Now then....problem. A track may have 16 or so races per day and usually a dog will only race once or twice a week. 8 dogs per race. That takes a large inventory of dogs. When a track closes the greyhound adoption network gets FLOODED with dogs and it is difficult to find homes fast enough. Last month we had three dogs in our house (which ain't that big), our own plus two fosters, because a track closed in Kansas. And me, the wife and daughter, and some other people from our group met the dog hauler at friggin' 3:30 AM on a Sunday morning off an exit of the PA Turnpike. Hey, that's when they're coming through. Then take a mess of dogs to the vet clinic, bathe and clean 'em up, and get them off to the foster families coming to pick them up.

Meantime I'm dropping over $40 a week on dog food for three dogs.

Not complaining, just an FYI from the receiving end.

Banning racing seems like an overstep to me. It's not the racing that is the problem. It is the mistreatment between racing at some tracks/by some owners.

Rocks

true,

it is not so much the racing then the lack of care they receive at the kennel. as johnny stated , not all follow this horrible practice, but there are still a good amount that do.

our grey happend to be taken care of well, and i am sure nascar's tony stewart takes very good care of his grey's that race.

and yes, they enjoy to run!

it is rewarding to watch them run in a field and chase each other.

but in general, the racing is dying off and the care level is still way below it should be as most owners look at them as just a commodity.

johnny, great job fostering. i know it is alot of work and not an easy task.

johnny, great job fostering. i know it is alot of work and not an easy task.

Heh. I come home tonight from a meeting at my church to find the wife has been on the phone for an hour with a new adopter whose dog has separation anxiety and has torn up their place (most of them are not like that). When he was at our house we didn't have any problems with him.

It looks like we're getting another dog tonight. :blink:

Latest posts