Temp Gauge

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Art G

Reaction score
Hi Sport Trac Lovers,

I have a rather weird happened to my temperature gauge today.

The needle went up to H temp for about a second and went back down to normal reading and stayed there during a 30 mile commute. Then it happened again on the back. The engine did not overheat and stayed at normal temp. Perhaps something wrong with the gauge or electrical causing it to spike to a high reading. If you have experienced something like this of your ST, I like to hear some comments.

Thanks in advance.

2005 ST XLT.

It could be a bad temp sensor or a corroded connection on the sensor. The sensor is on the t-stat housing, under the throttle body.

Double check to make sure your coolant levels aren't low. Check both the overflow reservoir and the radiator when the engine is cold. If the coolant gets low, air can get into the system and cause these types of spikes in temperature readings. The easiest way to bleed the cooling system of air is with the funnel system listed in the link listed below. Good Luck and let us know what you come up with.

Also you say the engine never overheated, How do you know? Second gauge ???

Just saying.....

Check the rad fluid, look for leaks, and may be time for Tstat housing, New stat and fluid flush

Todd Z

Latest posts