T-Stat Housing Blew....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Toms

Reaction score
So like this is kind of a rant but also I just don't know. Anyway, yesterday after picking up my girl friends civic from dealership. I go to jump onto the highway and all of this smoke starts to rush from the back of my truck. Then the check gauges light kicks on and my coolant gauge jumps to hot. I pull over to the side of the highway on 270 North. All this smoke is just rushing from beneath my hood. I was hoping I wasn't on fire. I open the hood after a few minutes and there is coolant everywhere. After calling my girl friend and parents to come in and help me. We found that there is a bad leak coming from the plastic T-Stat housing.

Today, me and my dad, took out the intake, the throttle body just to gain access to the T-stat area. And damn, it is a B! Ended up getting it out, to notice that the housing of T-stat has busted apart. I just got off the phone with Advance and Pepboys. They both said they can't get it. So tomorrow, it looks like I will be contacting Ford. And I guess this is also a great time to replace the T-Stat, since I've never replaced it before. I am currently at 150k miles in my 2004 ST. Wow, I just don't know what to make of this. Upon looking at it, it looks as if Ford didn't install it correctly to begin with, mainly because certain plastic's were broken or missing, also the T-stat was improperly sat within the housing.

So I guess with all said. Any idea's WTF?! LOL Anyway, tomorrow I will be looking at going to Ford to get this part, because it looks like it will be the only place to get. Very doubtful there is many junk yards with ST's. The T-stat housing is a 2 piece design and it separated between the 2 pieces. It looks like I will have to purchase the whole item and hopefully it can be obtained.

I got mine from eBay much cheaper than Ford but it took a couple days to receive.

here's the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330369081432?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Pete

Not much comfort, but. At 150k, you got more miles than some have befor the lowerhousing blew.

Sure woud be a good idea if the after market would make a metal replacement.

ordered mine from rockauto.com for 2001. but if you buy from them get the motorcraft brand ( four seasons brand leaked worse than the one i replaced ) good luck.

The PROJECT section has a project to do it so you did not need to remove the intake.....

Hope you get it fixed !!

Todd Z

Richard.. I just replaced the lower T-Stat housing on my 2002 and I only have 102k on it if that makes you feel any better. Like Pete, I purchased mine on Ebay from an autoparts store in Orlando,Fl (Motorcraft brand) got it in three days and it was $20 cheaper than my local Ford dealer, plus it came with the two seals and three new screws at no additional cost.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170730967653?item=170730967653&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OC:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr

Some advice, do a full coolant flush while you are at it. Ford says you can use the Green coolant but in my opinion stay away from it, stick to the Yellow / Gold one. If you live close to a Walmart and you don't mind shopping there buy the Prestone concentrated, $14 each not the 50/50 $12-$14 each. It's the black cap one not the blue. Buy 2 it will give you 4 bottles which should be enough. Also check the elbow hose that is connected to the lower T-Stat housing, for $7.00 at the auto store it's worth doing.

Good luck...when you are done it will give you a sense of satisfaction for doing a job well done.

PJ

Thanks for all the help and info. Tonight me and my dad sealed the deal and finished. Finally, I can drive a truck again, and not my mom's escape.

Latest posts