Sway bar bushings

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CountyMounty

Reaction score
Been searching through the post trying to narrow down part numbers and reccmmendations for upgrade for handling. I figured while I doing other stuff like the upper control arms and front end links I might as well consider some other stuff. I cant really afford new bars but looking for suggestions, part numbers, for improved bushings for front or rear. Will it make a big enough difference if not replacing the bars themselves? This whole idea keeping and fixing up the track is really getting to me and I want to do too much I think, the parts will probably sit around forever.

The sway bar bushings are easy and not very much moola. False economy to do the end links and not those as well. I'd pass on the new sway bars - very expensive and doubtful you'd notice the difference from stock on this kind of car. Replace the shocks; you'll find plenty of positive comments from others about the improvement. Me, I like the KYBs I put on my 02 some years ago. Son has car now and still giving good service at 120K.

I'd pass on the new sway bars - very expensive and doubtful you'd notice the difference from stock on this kind of car.

Beg to differ on this one. Providing all the tires and other suspension parts are upgraded, adding

a REAR sway bar will virtually eliminate body lean when turning, track straighter when windy, and

add stability when towing. Too many Gen 1 owner testimonials to ignore. Do a search, you'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe an upgraded swaybar was added to the Trac starting in '09, which also improved the handling over earlier Tracs. If the swaybar was not important, Ford would not have spent the money to make the improvement during the last two model years of production.

Many posters on this forum have reported HUGE benefits for replacing their rear swaybars on their Gen I Tracs with upgraded aftermarket bars. A lot of work has gone into design and testing with several members of this forum. I don't think you can discount the experiences of so many.

I would agree that the first step would be to upgrade the bushings and endlinks on the OEM swaybar if there are a few years and miles on the Trac. That is where the biggest bang for the buck will be made toward restoring a safety and handling of the Trac. If an imcremental further improvement is needed, by all measn - replace the swaybar with an aftermarket unit for even better performance.

Ditto on what swshawaii said.

Gavin is talking about the gen2 trac.

The rear swaybar upgrade, better shocks, better front end links. Makes a world of difference of ride and control of the gen1, '01 to '05 trac.

I have read enough on here over the years that I have no doubt that replacing the sway bars would improve things but I am not going to do that. I am already forking out a lot of money for other parts and maintenance. I would consider upgrading end links/ bushings as they are much cheaper. I was looking for recommendations/ part numbers for what I need as I tried reading through all the post and there were too many different things and conflictin info so I am not sure what exactly I need. (2004 XLT 4x4) I have already ordered the Moog front end links, looks like maybe ES ones would have been better but the Moog ones are already shipped. I was told I needed to replace passenger side upper control arm so I ordered both sides and will replace both control arms next week. That is it so far for suspension parts, what else should I do that is cheapish. rear end links, front and rear bushings, looks like my ST already has red poly bushings on front is that factory? I bought it with under 10k miles on it.

I am trying to see if I can get Monroe to warranty my shocks and replace. That was the first upgrade I did after buying the ST. I couldn't find the receipt but found my old bank account statement where I bought them so I have sent a message to Autobarn to see what they say, I'm not getting my hopes up.

You're on the right path upgrading and replacing worn suspension parts. IIRC, later Gen 1 ST's have poly FRONT sway bar frame bushings. The Moog end links are perfectly adequate, just don't over tighten. If you want to upgrade the rear, check out the ES 4.5153G poly kit linked below. If you decide to replace the front with poly, use the 4.5155G kit.

Darn I wish I had seen that kit before I ordered the Moog ones but for $10 more I would have got the sway bar bushings too, maybe I'll order that and send the Moog back, the end links in that kit are not as beefy though right, the Moogs are 7/16" right but looks like most seem to think ES ones are better. Its odd when I look up that kit (4.5153G) on Amazon I get something different I get red bushings that are greasable. Are the greasable sway bar bushings better or does it not make a bit difference. I would like to upgrade them all as it is so cheap. Like I said my fronts are apparently already poly, they are red, not sure what brand but it must have come that way, probably could still stand to be replaced.

I love Amazon but NEVER trust their pictures and vehicle fitment guides. In the past they have always paid return shipping if for exchange credit and not refund, regardless of fault.

Click "received wrong part" and continue. The greaseable brackets aren't necessary with the black bushings if you use the grease provided. Use a crescent wrench to confirm you have the 34mm front 4x4 sway bar. A propane torch to remove the rear end link bushings is the easiest way. Very smoky job, do it outside with a full bucket of water underneath. GL

looking for a part number for just the front sway bar bushing, I was going to return the Moog end links and get the kit but $6.50 return shipping, cant find anyway to get free return. I found a set of 34mm ES bushing but they do not look the same as the ones in the kit.

You'll find what you're looking for on the RockAuto website. You have to know the diameter of your sway bar though. Use a caliper if you have one or the crescent wrench method that swshawaii suggests.

County- Sorry you couldn't get a refund on the return shipping. ES does not sell the Explorer 34mm (5472) bushing separately. The Moog K80082 will fit. It's worth upgrading to the ES poly kit, just for the handing improvement alone. If you figure the total of both Moog parts vs. the 4.5155G kit, you will be close to the same price including your $6.50 return shipping. GL

Well I did a chat with Amazon CSR and they agreed to refund for the Moog and cover the shipping and put the credit toward the ES kit, two day shipping (actually got in one day, today) and put the new end links and bushings on in about an hour. Now I think I'll do the rear. FYI my OEM endlinks looked fine, and the sway bar bushings not terrible either, I think they were both upgraded from the factory so I'm not sure if there will be any great improvement but it was a cheap project to go along with the other suspensions fixes. Still waiting to hear back on my request to replace my shocks under warranty.