Survey on "Employee 'Free Choice' Act"

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Schaecher

Reaction score
Just had a phone survey on the Workplace Confrontation, Card Check, Communist Support and Lack fo Free Choice Act, commonly called the "Employee Free Choice" Act...

Needless to say, I am EXTREMELY opposed to this legislation.

When the survey taker told me the topic, and I said the first thing off the top of my head about it, he mentioned that I would like the survey.

Don't know who he was with, don't really care.

I of course mentioned that I was former union (Teamsters, twice, two different jobs, two different states, two different employers, exact same crap).

Just need to let off some more steam. Sorry Cay, can't support this one in any shape, manner or form. No way, no how.

I recieved this unsigned email today.

Fellow Business Executives:

As the CFO of this business that employs 140 people, I have resigned myself to the fact that Barrack Obama will be our next President, and that our taxes and government fees will increase in a BIG way.

To compensate for these increases, I figure that the Clients will have to see an increase in our fees to them of about 8% but since we cannot increase our fees right now due to the dismal state of our economy, we will have to lay off six of our employees instead. This has really been eating at me for a while, as we believe we are family here and I didn't know how to choose who will have to go.

So, this is what I did. I strolled thru our parking lot and found 8 Obama bumper stickers on our employees' cars and have decided these folks will be the first to be laid off. I can't think of a more fair way to approach this problem. These folks wanted change; I gave it to them.

If you have a better idea, let me know.

All he needs is a legitimate non-discriminatory reason for the termination. And a creative lawyer.

Last edited by a moderator:
A layoff is a little different that a termination.

Some states can terminate you without cause,

or even because you had a bad date with the bosses daughter.:lol:

A layoff is a little different that a termination.

Some states can terminate you without cause,

Layoff in retaliation is illegal is most states. If the above story was true and those people were laid off because of an Obama sticker, that CFO would be without a job. Those Laid off would be very wealthy.

Tom

From what I have read about the act, it seems simply a set of measures to "grease the skids", so to speak, for establishing a union within the workplace where there currently is none.

I have nothing to fear from that. Most companies will continue to do what they can for their employees in the free market, and when the employees feel short changed they can bring that up to management and/or vote with their feet. When that is working in a healthy, free market workplace there is little need for unions...and it has been working for most companies the past few decades which is why unions have been on the decline and why "acts of desperation" like this come up.

P.S. I got word from our company of about 100 employees that there is a salary freeze for the next 8 months. I was up for review and merit promotion in January so that kind of stings. It stings only a little more than my retroactive pay increase of last year, that was 90 days late, but due to "corporate policy documented in the employee handbook" was really only paid retro back to 60 days (the max). My boss was "asleep at the wheel" with regards to getting my review and salary adjustment paperwork through, though I did continue to remind him.

Am I the victim above in these two examples? I don't know. I could always leave. I like my job. Salary freezes and decreases happen when the economy downturns. If we were locked-in, and our employer forced to pay a negotiated rate then people would have to be laid off, and/or the company forced into poorer financial situation during such times.

Sure, I don't like the mismanagement at the top that happens at times. But I chose this company first, then they me, and I can always choose to leave. Which might happen sooner now...

TJR

Believe me, when a union goes in and does a pretty song and dance for most hourly workers, they will believe the same change that Obamalamadingdong spewed. What will they get? A change... out the door.

The same people who will fall for a union ploy of "promise of change" and yada yada yada are the same people who will be looking at Obama in 4 years and be asking themselves.... we wanted change and we got nothing.

Hopefully, in the future, when I complain or doubt the outcome of the current administration, I won't be labeled a "sore loser". :unsure:

Hopefully, in the future, when I complain or doubt the outcome of the current administration, I won't be labeled a "sore loser".

Obama has not even been sworn into office and he is already making mistakes..in R Shek's eyes.

That is a sore loser.

Tom

Man there sure is alot of name calling over this election. It seems that if you dont like Obama you get some kind of label or cussed out. It has been the same in my nieborhood as it is on this board. What the hell is wrong.:(

It seems that if you dont like Obama you get some kind of label or cussed out.

Those that don't like Obama come up with hundreds of names like "Broccoli Obama", "Obamalamadingdong", and many others.

Without even starting his job, he is already destroying this country.

Get over it people. Let him take the office before you dog his decisions. Bush did not have a great cabinet either.

Tom

Tom, Im talking about name calling and labeling members here. Also the same in my hood. I could care less about someone giving any politician a funky name. Party doesnt matter. A good example was a nieghbor asked me if I was going to vote for OB. He calls me an a$$Hle. We werent discussing politics even. All I said was no. I was walking down to a freinds house. That is what members are doing here.

Latest posts