Supercharged Trac (installed today)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IIRC, the Thrac uses the 5R55E but the Mustang uses the 5R55S. Odds are, they are the same tranny, just the "S" might signify something that is Mustang specific like output shaft or something minor. Odds are, the tranny's are identical.

I did drive a new '06 V6 Mustang. It was impressed with everything but the tranny. It was an automatic, but it shifted like crap. I did not know when it shifted. If that is considered a good thing, I don't want any part of it. The engine is loud, but powerful. I am now waiting for a GT to drive.

Tom

Before I used the SCTX, my truck had one of those kind of shifts where you could barely tell you had shifted, I didn't like it either. After the tune, it's got a GREAT shift, very powerful, but not bone-jarring.

Most of the tranny issues seem to stem from timing issues surrounding the use of overdrive in 1st gear to make 2nd gear, rather than mechanical breakdowns. If the timing is not spot on when the transmission shifts to 3rd gear (releasing overdrive and shifting up to the next range in the transmission) it will briefly drop back into 1st. This is what happened to my '01 trac.

The use of overdrive in 1st gear to make 2nd gear? I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Do you mean having the overdrive turned OFF? Manual Shifting of the auto tranny?

The 5R55E uses the overdrive band in 1st gear to make 2nd gear. There's a pdf in my library that explains how Ford turned a 4 speed transmission into a 5 speed transmission.

I had a 92 Tbird SC 5spd. Ford designed the whine out of the SuperCharger to keep people buying a luxury vehicle happy.

As far as gas mileage, when you are just crusing the SuperCharger should NOT be in Boost mode. You may see slightly lower MPG, but I don't think it will be enough to notice. I say slightly only because the SC when not in boost may hinder airflow slightly and it adds a little weight to the car.

In the Tbird SC, I got between 27 and 29 Mpg on the highway

Actually, 70% of the boost is made at 1750 RPM, even though you can't HEAR it, you can feel it at very low RPMs. The torque is amazing. Eaton said it takes 3 H.P. to run the supercharger when it's NOT adding boost to the engine. You will never notice 3 H.P., nor will it have any effect on the gas mileage. So far, my mileage isn't any worse/better than usual. I have a 150 mile trip planned for either Monday or Tuesday, and I usually use about 1/2 tank for that. I'll fill 'er up, then fill it up again when I get home to see how many gallons I used. I just have to remember not to drive like a madman...which is increasingly difficult these days.