Super glue on black Sport Trac! Help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Mitchell

Reaction score
Three days after buying my (new to me) shiny black Sport Trac I accidently dripped super glue on the paint!! In my panic I tried to wipe it off with a paper towel...now I have a nice 4 inch swirl of dull white. I tried washing and waxing right away and no luck. Any ideas????? I certainly wouldn't want to further harm the paint either. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Goo-gone, 3-m Adhesive remover, go to Wal-Mart and check out their automotive section. Tons of stuff to try.

Whatever you use, be sure to rewax the area. Whatever takes off super glue, is going to take the wax with it.

I wouldn't try nail polish remover / acetone, i think it's too harsh on the paint. Try rubbing alcohol or wd-40 rubbing firmly with a cotton swab. It might take the wax off in that spot but it shouldn't harm the paint. I've used wd-40 to remove gum, tar and other sticky nasty things. If the wd-40 doesnt work, the alcohol will.

I agree with Eddie. I have gotten super glue on many surfaces, and it rarely comes off without some extreme effort. Wood requires sanding and restaining. Formica requires acetone and scraping (though the countertop still has a small gulley from the acetone). I have a feeling auto paint will require a spot repaint, if that is possible.

My one shot try would be to use rubbing compound on the area, essentially stripping a small amount of the clearcoat. Then, using a buffer, use a severe polish, medium, light, and glaze to bring back the shine. It works with tree sap, which dries as hard as super glue. No guarantees, though...

Good luck.

I agree with Fast Eddie and Adam. Super glue not only sticks to the paint, but it eats into any plastic/polymer material to fuse the materials together. The white swirl is not just the glue on the surface, but is the results of the glue eating into the paint and cannot be removed or repair short of sanding and repainting.

Sorry, I know that is not what you wanted to hear, but there is no other way around it. With a little luck, you may find a nice decal that will cover it, at least until you can get it fixed.

...Rich

Super Glue is worthless, I wouldn't get it anywhere near anything valueable. Seriously, I HATE the stuff...only seems to stick together skin for me.

TJR

call your ins company and say someone poured the glue on your car...vandalism..files under comp coverage (subject to deductible possibly) get a quote from body shop to see how much it will cost to repair.......just an idea...

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say that Adam has the answer. My husband does custom paint for a living and he said he just did this on a customer car this week. He will wet sand it with 1,500 grit sand paper then rubbing compound. You may need to get a variable speed buffer to buf it out. He said Jeffs idea with the goo gone might work but, Adams is the correct way.

Mel

Yeah, Dennis, insurance fraud, what with its stiff fines and potential jail time if caught, along with the increased insurance costs that we all as consumers pay whenever it is committed is "just an idea"...a "bad idea!"

3M Adhesive Remover or Rapid Remover. Both available at your local sign supply store. I've used both and have had very good luck. However, I never tried it with SuperGlue. Never had a reason too...LOL

I aim to please, Big D, I aim to please.

I guess I just don't like to see lawlessness and bad behavior recommended on these forums.

The fact that it seems I preach and give life lessons on a daily basis, as you say, may actually speak more about the other folks and their cavalier attitude towards behaving badly than it does about me. Did you ever consider that?

TJR

You don't have to lie to your insurance company. If you have a low deductable onl your Comprehensive coverage, just file a claim. It doesn't have to be anyone's fault, you made a mistake and that's what you pay insurance for.

I have $50 deductable on my Comprehensive coverage and that covers vandalizm, broke glass, fire, theft, hail, flying missles, etc. Anything that is not obviously caused by colliding with a fixed object or another vehicle.

My wife accidently burned a cigarretto hole in our new Honda when it was only about 4 months old. I claimed it on my Comprehensive insurance and my insurance company paid the whole $370+ cost of the replacement Honda Seat fabric and an upolstery shop to install the seat covering except for my $50 deductable.

I would guess that they would have to sand and repaint and clearcoat the whole fender, and that will easily cost $300 or more.

...Rich

The fact that it seems I preach and give life lessons on a daily basis, as you say, may actually speak more about the other folks and their cavalier attitude towards behaving badly than it does about me. Did you ever consider that?

Most people see it as an "I am better then you" attitude.

Tom

None of which actually provides useful advice as to getting super glue off paint. :unsure:

Tried any of the suggestions? Let us know.

Latest posts