strange sound

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Kaufman

Reaction score
For a few months now I have been hearing a strange sound coming from the ST. when i go over a bump (ie speed bump size and larger) I hear a loud sqweek coming from the suspension. I have had a few places check my shocks and they say they are still good but im still getting noise.

does anyone have an idea.??????

Check sway bar frame bushings and lower ball joints first. Inspect front suspension by placing jack stands under the lower control arm forward facing "hooks".

Last edited by a moderator:
I vote front anti-sway bar bushings at the frame. Mine do this about every year and a half. I remove, clean and lube, and reinstall (30 minutes max.). I have been using NAPA Sil-Glyde Silicone Lubricating Compound in an 8 Ounce Tube. Might not be the proper lube, but it works without deteriorating the bushing.

When I had my 2001 I got a squeak from the front end. My mechanic found it was from the ball joints. They are "sealed" so he used a needle and injected some grease in them. Problem solved. :banana:

They are "sealed" so he used a needle and injected some grease in them. Problem solved.

If the ball joints were dry, a band aid at best. Not making noise does not mean fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts