Strange brake problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J C

Reaction score
Just installed the fabtech lift spindles, now i have experienced a strange brake problem. Whenever I turn sharply to the left or go over a curb, my brake pedal will go to the floor for the next pump of the brakes, and then the next pump will react normally. Luckily i havent had to stop quickly! Any ideas?

My ST is doing the exact same thing except the curb problem. I know my brake lines are rubbing the wheels when fully turned to the left. But I still dont understand this issue. I am going to get extended SS braided lines and see if the problem goes away. If you come up with the problem let me know please.

Chad

Last edited by a moderator:
Could caliper in any way contact part of the suspension ?

May be that the caliper contacting part of the suspension causing the piston to be pushed back into the caliper. It there was a leak your brakes would be bad all the time. Same as with air in the system.

brianC may have something there. Are you losing fluid? Do you need to add any fluid to the reservoir?

I've had the same problem ever since I did mine, and from what I've heard, it happens to most people that do the spindle lift. It's exactly what BrianC said above. Because the spindles aren't specifically designed for our trucks, the pistons are actually pushed into the bsck into the caliper anytime you make a full turn to the left or right. As far as I know, there really isn't anything that you can do about it. If anyone knows of a solution, I'm all ears. It only happens to me after a u-turn, so I just pump the brake really quick after I finish making the turn and I'm good to go.

If it is the piston being compressed, you need to figure out why.

Is the brake hose tight and sliding the caliper when turning or something like that, then get the longer SS hoses availble from Todd. You need to make it safe...

I found the problem.. When fully turned to the left, the caliper is being compressed the other direction thus opening it back up. The reason for the caliper being moved is due to the brake line itself. On the caliper side of the flex line is a 90 degree bend, if I can rotate the brake line then the problem should go away.

So now the question is can the brake line be rotated?

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Chad

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that the stock brake line cannot be rotated. It is swaged to the fitting. It is possible that the fitting can be attached 180° from nominal, but then the line would run in the opposite direction.

Best bet is a custom line.

You might look up what vehicles that caliper was used on, and check the lines that go with those vehicles. There may be a stock line that will work.

It may take a patient parts guy to find it, though!

I did rotate a line for another that had a similar issue. I ended up grinding it because it will be off-center if you don't.

To this day, all is fine...

[Broken External Image]:

When you lift a vehicle, you will nearly always need longer brake lines. In your case the 90-degree bend requires a much longer line ! I agree that a straight bandjo end-fitting would be better suited as long as you did not encounter any other interference.

...Rich