Storing my 08 ST - best practice for putting on blocks or jacks?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJ

Reaction score
Hey all - I'm planning on putting my 08 ST into a storage unit (for some time as I'm between jobs) ... can someone recommend a good method for jacking and putting on blocks or jacks? Which contact points undercarriage should I use?

Also if someone's got recommendations for specific jacks, I'd be most grateful! :grin:

Mahalo and Aloha,

RJ

I would NOT recommend blocking or jacking as this will keep the suspension hanging on the struts or shocks...

I simply OVER inflate the tires.... IF the max is 45 I go to like 60 and Park the truck.....

Then deflate them before you move it again...

1 thing I do is Park the truck and remove the fuel pump fuse and let the truck run till it dies....

Then before re starting, I put the fuse back in, and take off the coil or ignition.... Let the engine crank as to get oil back in everything....

I let my 2003 sit on my drive way for 4 months and did NOTHING above and the truck is fine..

Todd Z

Todd Z

I have to disagree with Todd on one thing..the fuel. I would fill the tank and add some StaBil and run it for about 1/2 hour to mix it all well. If you let the fuel rail and the injectors sit without fuel in them you run the risk of the o-rings drying out and then you could potentially have fuel leaks when you restart it. Leaving it with a full tank also ensures that moisture won't develop in the fuel tank and the StaBil will help keep the gas from going bad...JMO

Thanks all for your feedback!!!

Here's a cool link ... I like the car cocoon concept, I just wonder if those dang rats would be able to eat thru it in storage. :angry:

So your going to pay for a storage unit because you're unemployed? I don't get it. Wouldn't it be cheaper to just not pay for a storage unit and just drive your truck less?

I guess I don't know the whole story and it's really none of my business but it seems the route your taking is more expensive than not doing anything at all.

Go to the link below, they have a product that goes under the tires to prevent flat-spotting them. Its like a curved plastic thing that matches the circumfrence of the tires. Like a cradle. Don't know if it works, but worth looking into. Bob

It's okay to store a vehicle on jackstands IF you put them on the suspension so that it is sitting at normal height and the suspension isn't drooping.

That said, if it's going to sit for 6 months or less I wouldn't worry about it. I've stored my mom's car for four months every winter when they go to FL. In this order, I dump a bottle of Sta-Bil in the tank, go fill it up, pump the tires up to 40, hit the drive-thru carwash that sprays underneath, drive it home and change the oil, pull it into the garage, crack the windows, punch up Storage Mode on the computer (you can do that on Cadillacs), and it sits until April. Been doing it that way for ten years with no issues. '99 Eldorado, triple black, 60,000 miles. :grin:

Let the truck sit on the tires. If it was not in storage it would sit on the tires.

Sta-Bil is a waste of money. Fill the gas tank. I have a 80 MG that sits quitely every winter (Dec to mid March.) Did use Sta-Bil for three or so years. then have not used it for 13 years. NO PROBLEM, again NO FUEL PROBLEM. This is in Iowa, we do have a cold winter here.

That's my real life experience/opinion. I'm not paid to say that. Now consider that Sta-Bil pays for their opinions.

Latest posts