stop lamp problem ?????

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Tarr

Reaction score
I'm feeling pretty stupid after searching for how to remove the taillight lenses from my 2002 ST to replace the stop lamp bulbs.......they just stopped working! The manual says there are screws to remove. I can't find them and see no access panel. I checked the 15A fuse and it was good. I suppose they burned out but the high stop lamp still works......HELP please!

Jim :wacko:

It could also be the brake switch or the common wire in the steering column issue...

It may not be the bulbs at all...

Todd Z

the name of the part escapes me now, but it could be a relay or something that goes bad, if you have no taillights whatsoever including the 3rd brake light that's what it usually is.

Just removed mine to install new black tails.

JerryA is correct, 3 large rubber grommets on each side, covering 8mm hex self tapping screws.

Very unlikely both rear tail lamps would go out simultaneously, as Todd said.

Could NOT believe the debris that came out when I pulled them off.

A LOT of dirt, pebbles, leaves, cobwebs, etc. Would think Ford would have sealed them from the inner fender well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually if the third brake light still works but the normal brake lights do not work it is a bad multifunction switch...turn signal switch.

Thanks for all of your replies. Everything mentioned so far makes sense. When I adjust my steering wheel height, my turn signals flash faster and when it is returned to a higher position, they go bak to normal.....just no brake lights. Is this a job that I should tackle myself or should I take it to a mechanic? I am pretty good at repairs but am not familiar with this area of repair. Could I set off the air bag working in there?

Jim :wacko: