Stop Headlights From Flashing When Locking Doors With Remote

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Stehle

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way to do this. I'd like to keep my headlights from flashing when I lock the doors with the remote. Ideally, I'd keep the running lights flashing, but I'm guessing they're tied together.

I'll try to keep it brief, but here is the situation. I've got a full HID retrofit in my trac ('04 gen 1) using OEM components from an acura tl. Xenon headlights are more efficient when running, but naturally they take a long time to get to full output (example: gymnasium lights). Obviously this isn't acceptable for auto use, so in vehicles there is a large current boost when the lights are initially turned on (which is why a lot of the cheaper rebased HID kits fail, a lot of them [not all] run through the vehicles standard wiring harness and not the battery, so the initial boost fries the stock wiring harness after a while). It's not good to "flash" the lights, like when the door lock is hit, because it creates that short burst of current.

I recently had an ignitor fail, and I suspect this could be the reason. Swapping ignitors isn't terribly expensive, but since it's a retrofit, the components need to be water proofed (in the OEM system these components are integrated into the headlight housing, so they are not exposed to the elements, but in some retrofits this isn't possible). This makes swapping components more difficult. That, and if a ballast went bad it's much more costly to fix. I know that the components remained water tight, so that isn't what caused the problem.

So long story short, I want to keep the headlights off when locking the doors so I don't stress the system. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Hmmm, they must have started that in the '04's. My '03 just flashes the parking lights and since my aftermarket fogs are hooked to the parking lights, they will flash also. My headlights will not flash during that time. There may be a way to get them not to, but I don't think it will be as easy as just unhooking a wire.

My '04 flashes all the lights. I wish I could stop the dome light from coming on, when turn the keyoff. Dont mind it when I open the door or use the remote to unlock.

Wow! Sounds like who ever did all the installs, did them differently. My 04, just the parking lights flash. No interior, nor headlights/fogs.

Hmmm.... My 01 only flashes the parking lights when the remote is used. I will try to look it up for you, but there is a wire from the "security module" that is just for flashing the lights. what you would do is simply cut this wire... from then on the lights would never flash even if the panic button or alarm is triggered.

-Don D.

Maybe it has something to do with what brand of alarm is installed???

Last edited by a moderator:
It's just the factory keyless entry. It does have the passive alarm but I don't really know what that does. Here is a link to my retrofit. Big investment (time ans ca$h), but I'll never go without now that I've got them! No cutoff pix, but it's a nice line. I modded the projectors to get a little more color at the cutoff, and they look.perform great!

PS corners are now clear, these pics were from last summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
from the factory my 03 and 04 did that..... lock the doors and close, the lights blink...

Todd Z

I guess I'm not seeing what the problem is here. Whether it's the headlights or the parking lights that flash (mine was the parking lights), it's only there to confirm that your vehicle is locked, why is that such a problem?

I know that some vehicles will also leave the headlights on with a timer to give you some illumination when you get out of your vehicle and lock it. Most have an adjustment for the time delay, but perhaps if you have the headlight delay feature, the headlights will flash when the doors are locked even though the headlight timer is set to the minimum delay?

...Rich

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Richard, the issue is that it's not good to flash HID lights due to the large current they draw to fire up.

My '02 just flashes the park lamps on the 1st press of the remote, 2nd press lamps & horn.

My '99 Mustang doesn't flash anything on the 1st press, horn & park/head lamps on the 2nd.

My '08 E250 functions as my 'Trac.

Strange there are so many differences.........

Latest posts