stonemiser, got something you could add to your tranny prodject.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh OH

Reaction score
Hey stone,

Just wanted to give you a "Thanks" for making that prodject on the transmission filter change and the EPC adjustment. I just finished up with it about an hour ago, and all is well with my ST. I have noticed it was just a tad firmer on shifting, but I didn't notice THAT much of a change.. (And I tightened the EPC valve about a 1/2 a turn I think..) but then again, I didn't have any shifting problems as of yet anyway. (No 2~3 flare yet like many ppl here.. Mine is an 05' 4x4) At anyrate, I got both a new fiter and gasket for the tranmission pan. But then soon realized after getting all the materials together that you had listed on your project that you didn't have any silicone for the gasket... So I bought some and took a pic of the right stuff ppl will need, gotta be careful on silicone, get the wrong kind and it will melt!!! This type that I got is a little thicker than the standard that ppl would use, but I'm a firm believer in that you cant have too much sealant... ;)

Thanks again for the project!!

~Josh

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
The St gasket really does not need sillycone unless your steel pan is bent at the bolt holes..

Ford may have upped the pressure on the EPC in 05, BUT running a stock tune you may not notice that much a difference. When you Go at WOT you will see the difference..

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope.. No bends.. But at the same time, being in the navy for 6 years and working on all different types of valves and pipes. You put a gasket on, you beter put silicone on.. Just a common rule. Just like pipes. You put put a pipe in place, you use teflon tape just to be on the safe side... ;)

Ahh, now see the pipes we do, Tape and dope.... :D:D

Todd Z

WOT= wide open throttle...

If you floor the truck and let it shift, you will notice the pressure increase on thew top end only. Since there is nothing telling the computer to increase the pressure until your at wot, thats where you will feel it...

IF you get an xcal and re program the computer, then you will really notice it..

Todd Z

Too much sealant CAN be a bad thing. Nothing wrong with a thin coat on the pan/gasket. But if you put to much on, the excess sealant will drop into the pan and potentially create issues. I have seen it plug the filter when doing repairs on others vehicles.

Josh, glad it could help. I didn't put on any sealant on since the original gasket on the ST is made of rally good material. I just cleaned it off and put it back on. Almost 20k on it now since and not a drop of fluid or even a wet area on the tranny pan. I would probably recommend that on some of the aftermarket ones but since I didn't replace the original, didn't need it. Good info though and if Rich could add that to the project it wouldn't hurt.;)

Also, with mine when I did the EPC adjustment, I had a real sloppy slow 2-3 shift. Not really a slip but just took it's damn time to shift. Also had about 35k on the vehicle when I did it. The difference was noticable on mine.;)

Latest posts