Stock radio changes stations by itself

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Like the title says, this past week my stock radio in my 2001 sport trac has started changing stations all by itself. I have asked some friends about this and none have had this experience. Anyone here had this happen to them? Or know what the problem is?

thanks.

Check your owners manual for the fuses, I think there are 2. Pull them and wait a few minutes. Power it back up and maybe the electronic glitch will reset.

Clock spring in steering wheel (if you have the steering wheel radio controls)?

Sounds like the common problem of Taurus wipers turning on by themselves.

Sounds like the common problem of Taurus wipers turning on by themselves.

I've got one of those :) It even baffled the Ford folks (they thought I was making it up). Then, after my warranty was out, I found the TSB.... even though I had all the documentation of "can't duplicate", FOMOCO refused to replace the turn signal/wiper control.

Make sure you do not have a bowling ball resting on the controls on the back of the middle console - took me 2 weeks to figure out that was why the vOLuMe kept going up and down on me.

I posted this before, but here goes again. Maybe it is like when I put a better radio in my Dodge K car, years & years ago. I even went to the local Doge dealership and asked them about the color of the hot wire, so it would be easier to match up. I wanted to be able to put the original back in latter since this was my company car. Anyway I found the color wire he told me about and tested it. It tested hot with the engine off, just what I wanted. I even made a center floor console to put in 2 speakers. This way all I had to do when I changed the radio back was to disconnect the speaker wire from the radio, disconnect the hot wires and the ground wire, pull the radio and plug in the old one. Well I got everything hooked up and tested it. It worked fine or at least I thought so. So imagine my surprise when I am driving around, see someone I know, honk my horn and the radio changes channels.:lol: I didn't beleive I heard right so I honked again.:lol: Yeah , he told me the color of the horn wires, so I had to change it. Maybe yours was wired up with a delay reaction that just now stared.:lol:

It's the Gremlins..always the Gremlins! :lol:

but Marvin, it could be the stuck button..or maybe the antenna cable has come loose or cracked somewhere, just another thought.

and..Cruzrtwdgt, if you took it in before the warranty ran out and the problem still exists the FORD tech, did not address your issue. That should be covered if it's been documented that it was in before, for the same issue.