Still the U-joints?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Butler

Reaction score
A little while back my U-joints in the rear decided to crap out on me so I got them replaced because as most know, that certain speed over 35 or so you start to get a vibration and as you speed up the vibration gets worse. Well anywho, I replace my U's and it fixed most of the vibration. This past week it got a little worse but I'm noticing that between 40 - 50 mph it vibrates a bit when letting off the gas, but between 55 - 80mph there is no vibration whatsoever.. Anyone got any idears?

Thanks

Dan :yawn:

It's mornin' here...

DID you check the Front since your lifted ?? Check the lift kit for tightness??

ALSO check the transfer case and other drive train parts...

Todd Z

My tires are a little under a year old. Everythings been checked and torqued to be safe. One thing I did not check though is the transfer case and the drive train. So I will look into that and get back to you. :haveabeer:

Here are a few thoughts, are you sure that the drive shaft is in phase or maybe a weight was knocked off in the process and it needs to be rebalanced? Just a couple of things that I would check since I had that same sort of problem when I did them on my f150 a few years before I bought the Trac. I believe I was only charged about $30 for the re-balance.

The weights may be a possibility. Luckily I started working over at Champion Ford so perhaps some mechanics can help me out. I'm just a porter... :cry: lol.

Thanks Eddie. I asked a mechanic about the balance and (because he is new) wasnt sure who knew how to do the balancing so I'm going to ask someone tomorrow. It also just came to my mind that if I start driving immediately before anything actually heats up the truck rides fine. Its only after about 10 minutes that it will start to vibrate at those speeds.

Best bet would be for a lift shop to do it. They will need to put angle gauges on the drive shaft and the differential. If they find the angle too far off. They will shim the differential angle to take the vibs and stress off of the u-joints. There is a tolerance point of angle for a u-joint. If you are lifted or extremly droped. you can get vibs and think it is a balance problem. and break joints and yokes. Also cause damage to the trans output shaft.

Latest posts