Still on the body mounts

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Fenwick

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Aloha guys, I finally got back to the truck this evening. I took the bolt out for the mount on the 'C' pillar. Ok, now the big washer is still on, the old bushing won't come off. It seems as though that if the washer comes down and I slide the old bushing down, I can just slide the new one up and tighten everything. Does anyone know what is holding the washer on? Shall I use a big pry bar? Does anyone have pics? Thanks Ed

Ed,

Appears the top bushing has a washer/sleeve also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Eddie, I'll look to see if I even want to do this now. Interesting that they want me to use lock tight and then re torque later. Doesn't that break the lock tight loose?

Ed

I did not lock tight any thing, I bought NEW OEM bolts and torqued to 65Ftlbs and not 45 like the manual said..

Todd Z

Paul and Ed,

Not sure if I mentioned it, but. My body man had to go back and retighten mine. After a few hundred miles the were loose.

The torque figures dont work for the poly mounts. He went back and and pulled the bolts. Put lock tight on them. He tighten them with out a torque wrench. He watched the bushings. When they started to bulge, he went a few more rounds. I watched while he did it.

It actualy rides better than the first time.

With all this body mount talk on here lately, I went and inspected mine and was surprised to see they look fine, no cracks or no chunks missing or anything. Very surprised considering 13 Cleveland winters.

I just took a peek under my 2003 and the body mounts are starting to go.

The worst is the one under the front passenger seat. Just starting to lose a little meat. The rest seem ok, but are hard and appear "crushed".

I had a amazon gift certificate, so I bought the Prothane kit. Good price and free shipping, The only weird thing is the estimated delivery date is sometime between May 1st and July 30th! Not a big deal, I'm not in any hurry to do this job.

So Tod, what are the tips for this job? I read in another post that I might have to heat the tips of the bolts with a propane torch for 60 seconds to loosen the original Ford thread lock.

But what else? Specifically what do I have to remove to get the flooring up and get to these bolts? Also any issues while jacking up the body off of the frame? Some how I think the ones up near the radiator would be a pain?

Tell me what I need to know to make this job easy.

Last edited by a moderator: