stereo wiring

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dads Tractors

Reaction score
Gonna upgrade my stereo - amp, speakers but keepin head unit. For those that have done this what is the easiest way to gain access to the radio wires and which wires do I run the line converter to? Best location for the amp ground. I'm not gettin fancy..just loiking for more punch. I will be adding a sub later

. So far I have installed 4 Rockford Fosgate 6x8s I got for ftee but not impressed with the bass. I am getting a 5 channel amp to eventually power a sub.

Remove the panel next to the front seats ( b pillar) , Speaker wires are in there, Inverters fit in there.

Ground and mount amp under rear seat passenger side. Ground to seat bolt or floor.

Todd Z

So I got an inline converter and powered sub. My question before wiring it all up is does the factory head unit have a power control wire that I can tap into to power up/down the amp with the radio? If so what color is the wire? I plan on running the rca inline converter off the rear speakers and run the amp power feed straught off the battery with an inline fuse. I just don't want the amp to have power without the radio on.

No it does not. Use the key or run a switch,

Todd Z

The OEM doesn't have a dedicated line to switch on and off other devices, but power to it is controlled by the ignition switch; tap in to that wire. I don't know the color of it off-hand. I can check (for an '01 - should be the same) later in the day.

Latest posts