Steering wheel cosmetic improvement?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLE442

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
Some where way to close to the effen city
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
I was cleaning up my '07 V8 4X4 XLT interior and tried to clean grime off of the steering wheel. Some of it came off bur most was where the finish has worn off. It is the light interior and it needs to be improved IMO! Is there a paint or dye that will renew this and hold up? If not a wheel cover may work but I'd like to avoid putting one on. Any brands for a lace up cover would be nice just in case...Thanks

I had a similar issue and found some professional leather spray paint at a local auto paint store (not Autozone). I took in my interior trim code (TC camel) and got a perfect match.To make it stick I used leather/vinyl cleaner (spray can as well) and followed the instructions. This also works on seats very well.

There is also a leather repair kit for scratches in small rips that has a heat tip. You'd have to mix the colrs yourself with that one most likely.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting ready to do my own, and it looks like Wheelskins.com is one of the best out there for do-it-yourselfers. I sent away for the leather swatches and they have some nice choices.

http://www.american-stitches.com/ and I think a couple other companies will do a factory like recover of your steering wheel. But you have to send in your wheel and its more expensive of course.

Wheelskins :supercool:

If you want to do the "baseball" stitch (like my OEM), you'll need an additional length of thread. Wheelskins will send it to you at no additional cost.

Latest posts