1. Welcome to the new home for MySportTrac.com!

Please click here to find all the info about the move to the new site!

To access your account you will need to reset your password here

Starting problem

Thread in 'Reliability' started by Tom Cole, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Tom Cole

Tom Cole Member

Hi, I am having a problem with intermittent starting problems that the dealer can't find the cause of and no codes show up. I have a 2002 Sport Trac. Wondering if anyone has had same problem. It started after battery went dead and I changed it. I don't know if the battery had anything to do with it or not, but that was sequence of events. A day later I came home for 1/2 hour or so and when I tried to leave, the Trac would just crank but no start. I won't go into details of tow and all that, but when we took it off tow truck it started right up. Mechanic couldn't find any thing wrong. Few weeks later same thing happened, I let the car sit for an hour or so and it starts right up. Happened 2-3 more times same thing, crank good, no start. Dealer checked security system and did electrical system ground testing. Problem didn't happen while at shop so they couldn't fix it. Happened again a couple of weeks later. Any suggestions?

2. EddieS'04

EddieS'04 Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner 2 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

Try turning the key to the on position about 3 times. See if it starts after that. If so, your fuel pump is going bad.

Also check the wiring on the fuel pump trip module and the module.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2016
  3. RedRanger 7

RedRanger 7 Active Member 1st Gen Owner V6 Engine

I was having off and on starting problems recently. The wiring connector to the fuel pump kill switch under the glove box is cracked so I made a jumper and am bypassing the switch for now. :haveabeer:

4. Todd Z

Todd Z Well-Known Member 2nd Gen Owner V6 Engine V8 Engine

Bad fuel pump OR as said,

Remove the kick panel passenger side, Just pulls off, Find red rubber caped push switch and check the wires coming out of the bottom.... I bet they are melted...

Todd Z

5. Tom Cole

Tom Cole Member

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. The Trac hasn't stalled yet so I can try the three key on trick. I think it is the fuel pump also because the gas gauge sending unit is also acting stupid, taking 1/2 hour to finally get to full after stopping at 3/4 for awhile. We will start tearing it apart soon. Will also check kill switch as recommended by some other folks. Found a YouTube video of 3 key turn trick, searched for hard start for 2002. Thanks brothers.

6. Steve Brothers

Steve Brothers Member 1st Gen Owner

Old post, but thought I would chime in. My '01 had a similar (or same?) issue. I isolated mine to when, after a cold start, I would drive a very short distance of less than 1/2 mile. After a brief shut down period, it would not start. I found that if I floored the gas pedal while cranking, it would start, as if it was flooded. Don't know how to fix the problem though.

Todd Z likes this.
  7. Todd Z

Todd Z Well-Known Member 2nd Gen Owner V6 Engine V8 Engine

Replace the IAC motor, and Clean the throttle body........ its sticking.....