Starter Replacement is a nightmare

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean M 2

Reaction score
Well, I replaced the starter on the ST today. To say it was difficult is an understatement. If you have a 4x4, there is virtually no way to get the starter out from its position on the engine, let alone reach the bolts. I finally got it though. I had to remove the steering rod as well as a exhaust manifold pipe from the driver side of the engine. I took some pics so I am going to write up a project when I get some time. Long story short, unless you realllly want to do it yourself, replacing the starter is not for a novice. Rant over lol

I figured that, looking at mine, I was under there going... Hmmmmm I may yank the front Diff to do mine..

Todd Z

Let's see, mileage no better than my F150 Super Cab 4x4 ....... starter is impossible to get to ....... ya'll are not helping my ST love ......... and I haven't even gotten mine on the road yet! :(:(

Thanks for the warning but I like a challenge, don't have to do the starter yet but it'll be one of those things that just isn't supposed to be fun to do, like every other starter I've ever done.

ncranchero/Steve M don't worry, you have a 2wd should be easier.

This is a little too late but if you look by the front driveshaft you will see a big dampner, you should just be able to remove this adn then get the starter out. FWIW book time on the starter is less than an hour.

I had to have a little laugh after seeing this.

The starter is not nearly as difficult as the torque converter, let me tell you that. Really the starter seemed fairly simple, a small wrench and nimble hands got the job done.

I'm glad I could give you a laugh there Richie, and as far as it being easier than a torque converter, yes you are correct, although I don't think comparing the replacement of a starter to a torque converter is a fair one. I have done many starter replacements, and replacing the one on my ST was by far the most difficult, not impossible, but difficult.

Latest posts