Stalling with AC on

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My trac will stall every once in a while with the ac on, seems to be MAX ac. I pull over, turn ac off, and it will usually start up, with a couple extra turn overs, and Im off again. Any thoughts?

Sounds like the IAC needs cleaning, or is bad.

Also how is maintenance, Like filters and plugs ??

Todd Z

I agree with Todd in that it probably is the IAC (Idle Air Control valve) that needs cleaning and would be the first thing I would look at. The normal idle speed is controlled by the computer and it will normally adjust for the AC compressor load. However if the IAC is dirty, it cannot properly adjust the idle speed and that can result in stalling. In fact most stalling at idle conditions are probably related to a dirty IAC.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
I had stalling problems, especially in the winter, starting at around 40k miles. I cleaned the idle air control valve with carb spray, and the problem went away -- until the next winter. At that point I just replaced the part, which is easy. Half a year later all is still well. Cost for the part is $54 at rockauto.com

. . . . Hey guys, I just want to thank you for all your info, :supercool: I was in the same boat as Chris. :cry: I followed your advice and cleaned the IAC valve. My Family and I are able to deal with the summer's heat much better :driving: . . . THANK YOU. :love:

[Broken External Image]:

Here is an image of the IAC valve (after I removed the engine cover)

[Broken External Image]:

I used what I had handy in the garage, make sure when you're done cleaning the valve that you blow out all material.

[Broken External Image]:

in this image you can see (zoom in) by using a pick, I'm able to pull back the valve to reveal leftover grime.

[Broken External Image]:

this image is the result of my labor, did I mention it was 101 outside :cry:

[Broken External Image]:

This last image is of the cleaner I used and the picks I mentioned :banana:. . . . for the record, I used about a 1/3rd of the can of cleaner. Notice the dirt and grime in my makeshift bowl.

Thanks Again All (Sport Trac Web Site), Hope the images help future Sport Trac-ers !:haveabeer: