Stalling/Sputtering Issues (AGAIN) ...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris M 2

Reaction score
Many thanks to all who have chimed in on my Trac’s stalling and sputtering issues. As mentioned before, I’ve tried just about every fix and cleaning listed on the site, and I’m still trying others’ suggestions.

I’m certainly no expert when it comes to vehicles. Much of this stuff is totally new to me. I’ve learned a lot, but I understand that I may be facing something beyond my skill and experience level.

I’d thought that fuel flow (or lack thereof) might be the cause, but after replacing the fuel filter and having the same problem, I’m thinking it might be related to air flow… that is, the air intake, MAF, and/or throttlebody.

This problem may have begun before I installed my K&N intake, because I had a really rough start-up once. But it got really bad after the install. The problem occurs while the truck is running along just fine… and then stutter, stutter, stall… or the engine will just stop altogether.

I pull off the road and re-start, or, depending on traffic, sometimes I can slip it down into neutral and re-start. However, it’s always a rough start and I have to pump the gas after ignition to force the engine into a smooth rev.

This seems to happen more in damp weather than in dry weather.

So now I’ve some new questions…

1. Is it possible that damp air or moisture is somehow getting into the intake, and if so, would that cause the problems I’m having?

2. Is it possible that the idle is set too low to handle the increased air flow into the engine?

Besides a possible air flow problem, I’ve considered these possible fixes/issues:

3. Would new plugs and wires help? My Trac is an ’02 but has only 47,500 miles on it.

4. Is there anything I could be overlooking? I’ve cleaned the MAF (twice), cleaned the throttle body, cleaned the IAC, done the SeaFoam treatment, checked for the “cracked elbow” (it’s fine), and replaced the fuel filter. I’m getting ready to replace the PCV valve and change out the gas cap sometime in the next few days.

I appreciate everyone’s patience with my constant questions. I really want to solve this problem because I like the truck and want to keep it long-term. However, it’s a sick feeling getting behind the wheel and not knowing if or when this will happen. I’m a bit concerned that it could happen in the middle of a busy intersection with me and my family in the truck. That would suck and could potentially suck very badly… :(

So, as I’ve said many times, I appreciate any guidance that anyone cares to offer, short of “take it to a shop” and “just sell the thing and be done with it.” These options are on the table but I want to try a few more things before invoking the “nuclear options.” :)

Kindest Regards and Keep On Trac’n,

Chris M.

Chris, You don't happen to have an aftermarket chip on the computer do you ??

Also with the truck running, wiggle the 2 main wire connections, On on the right drivers side of the motor and the computer located at the fire wall....

Try wiggling things with it running to see if it is a loose wire, connection or short...

Also you may want to put the OEM air filter box back on and see what happens...

Todd Z

As far as I know, there's no aftermarket chip on the computer... how do I check that?

I'll try wiggling stuff (man, that just sounds wrong...) :D

Yeah, I could put the stock air filter box back on... I just hope I don't have to keep it on there!

I think the issue is not the intake, No ST here has had any issues because of the intake and had to be removed...

You need to remove the computer and look. It is on the passenger side firewall under the hood. Feel free to call me I can walk you through it..

Todd Z

I may well call you about the computer. It'll have to wait unfortunately... I'm swamped this weekend, so it'll probably be next week sometime.

Could a low idle cause this? Just looking at the dash tach, it looks right around 600. I know the dash tach is not as accurate as a handheld.

Is it possible my IAC is bad, though I just cleaned it and it looks okay? The black plastic spring-loaded thing in there seems to move back and forth just fine when I move it with my finger...

Chris the IAC only reacts at idle. If it is sputering and stalling while in motion, not the IAC.

I agree with Todd. (no stretch there) It really sounds like something is getting jarred at the right moment and shutting down the engine. You can check what Todd said, but also look for a loose/broken plug wire, or plug itself. Check at the coil pack and the plug area. Also give it a look under the hood when it's completely dark out with the engine running. You may get lucky and see a spark jump somewhere when you rev the engine. Funny that you aren't getting any CEL codes. That's what's pointing me toward the CPU, but even then, you would probably get a code.;)

There should be a code for a gas cap problem, so I doubt it is this.

I agree that it probably isn't an intake problem.

Checking for a broken plug is easy; checking for a bad plug isn't too bad (except for that passenger side rear plug).

If you have a voltmeter, you can check the continuity of the plug wires. This isn't difficult.

:unsure:CHECK YOUR FUEL PUMP PRESSURE. MINE DID THE SAME THING AND THAT WAS THE PROBLEM. THE FILTER SOCK IN THE TANK WAS 90% CLOGGED.WHICH SLOWLY BURNED OUT THE PUMP.

One thing to look at is an overheat situation. The engine will start to shutdown when it gets to hot. Another thing that I will repeat is, one of the best things you can buy is the fuel pressure kit from Zabteck.This will tell you if you have fuel pressure to the engine._Ron

Latest posts