Stalling Issue Solved (Hopefully!)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris M 2

Reaction score
It's been some months since I've posted on my Trac's stalling issue. I'm posting this update in hopes that someone with the same issue will find it, read it, try it, and it will work for them.

If you'll remember I tried just about everything recommended here on the site. I did all the cleanings, treatments, part replacements, etc. Nothing solved the problem... I still had stalling, lurching, and the engine dying.

After quite some time I noticed it almost always occurred after a fill-up, usually within a couple of hours or the next morning on the way to work. As I said in earlier posts, I found a great mechanic who had looked the Trac over thoroughly and found nothing. When I told him about the stalling happening after fill-ups, he asked me if I always top it off. When I told him yes, he said, "There's your answer. Don't top it off." He went on to explain how topping off the tank forces fuel into the fuel vent hose and fuel vapor cannister, which can cause stalling (and worse issues if you continue to top off long-term).

So I immediately stopped topping off. It's been a few months now, and the stalling is gone. When I fill up, I watch the gas gauge and stop the pump when the needle gets to F. I've had no problems since.

I know several of you out there disagree with this as a possible cause, and I highly respect your opinions because nearly all of you have a heck of a lot more automotive knowledge than I do. I only know what worked for me, with my Trac, in my situation. So I don't pretend this is a cure-all for all stalling issues.

All I can say is that I'm thankful for this online community, the folks who keep it going, and all who contribute. I'm thankful that my issue finally got solved, and that it didn't end up costing a fortune. That's what a user site like this is all about.

So, if you have a stalling problem with your Trac (or any newer vehicle from what I understand) and can't seem to figure out the cause, try NOT topping off... see if that works. It's worth a shot. :)

I have not heard of the stalling related to topping off the tank, but it does make sense. Thanks for the heads up and update.

So many things can cause stalling, but glad you found it without costing a arm and leg.

Well my guess is that there is a clog or a defective part in the Evap system and when you fill the truck it is spilling over into it and choking the engine..

OR the fuel is hitting the electrical connections in the gas tank when it is full causing it to mess up the pump and shutting it off...

Todd Z

Chris M,

As previously stated, there was a recall of all 2003 Sport Tracs due to a chort Evap Canister hose. If the hose was still attached, the tech only needed to install a plastic elbow to take the stress off the hose and prevent it for comming off. However, if the hosw was disconnected, they the system may have sucked up some road debris that could clogg up the cansiter. This condidtion may be aggravated by over-filling the tank?

It is also true that Ford recommends only filling the tank until the pump shuts off the second time. So it is not something that should be done on a regular basis.

I have owned a 2001 and a 2003 Sport Trac and only would fill them up to the brim (till I saw fuel at the nozzle restrictor in the filler neck) only to run an accuarate fuel economy test. This was usually only done on long trips where the gas was used quickly and did not sit for hours in the tank. I never experienced any stalling problems.

The primary cause of stalling in Sport Trac is a dirty or malfunctioning IAC (Idle Air Control) valve, but obviously other things can cause problems as well, inluding EGR valve that lets Exhaust gas into the intake air during idle is also a common problem on some vehicles.

You may want to check with Ford dealer to see if your vehicle ever was checked for the Evap Caonister hose recall.

...Rich

When I fill up, I watch the gas gauge and stop the pump when the needle gets to F.

Just curious. How are you doing this on a gen1 ST? My guess is you have the ignition in the "on" position while you're pumping. I did this at the pump once and it threw off the gas gauge.

Latest posts